Question about belly skin/bulge from those that lost a significant amount

Options
danaepoppie
danaepoppie Posts: 15 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
so, I've lost about 80lbs so far and still have quite a bit to lose which is mostly in my upper thigh, and lower stomach region at this point. I know you can't spot reduce, I run prob 3 times a week and lift 5 days a week. My trainer as well as the owner (former body builder) at the gym has said it is not wise for me to do sit ups or side bends at this point yet. I'm going nuts though because it seems the smaller the rest of me is getting, the bigger my belly, especially my lower part and love handles, is getting.
In reality I know by measurements it's not getting bigger just sagging from the loose skin but has anyone else experienced this? What can be done if anything?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sounds like your being extremely critical of yourself.

I have loose skin on my lower abdomen. I hate it, but there isn't much that can be done about it outside of surgery. My lower abdomen is actually a combination of both and as I've lost fat, to me it looks a better (even if it's more wrinkly) than it did when it was more fat than loose skin. I've heard that there is a possibility for the skin to adapt some after maintaining the loss for awhile. Sit-ups and side bends will strengthen your muscles, but they aren't really going to do anything for the loose skin.
    This is what mine looked like Nov 11, 2014 (I was at about 90 lbs lost):
    sw0gw702zydb.jpg

This is a couple weeks ago (over 100 lbs lost):
    y5u6xv9zjddo.jpg
  • danaepoppie
    danaepoppie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not really critical just nervous that after all this work it's still going to look like crap :(
    My husband disagrees with what they tell me at the gym. He says that the lower leg lifts will improve/tighten my lower belly.
    But, your pics give me hope as that's what I'm experiencing, only magnified because I've still got a lot more to lose.
    Thank you for the reply.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There are other threads about loose skin elsewhere in the forums (try doing a search) with some useful ideas - I seem to remember drinking lots of water helps improve elasticity and some natural skin ointments (aloe vera? but that might have been somewhere else) can also help. But don't take my word for this, try a search.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    so, I've lost about 80lbs so far and still have quite a bit to lose which is mostly in my upper thigh, and lower stomach region at this point. I know you can't spot reduce, I run prob 3 times a week and lift 5 days a week. My trainer as well as the owner (former body builder) at the gym has said it is not wise for me to do sit ups or side bends at this point yet. I'm going nuts though because it seems the smaller the rest of me is getting, the bigger my belly, especially my lower part and love handles, is getting.
    In reality I know by measurements it's not getting bigger just sagging from the loose skin but has anyone else experienced this? What can be done if anything?

Most people who lose a lot end up with some sort of loose skin. How much they get and how much stays depends on age, genetics, how quickly the weight was put on, how long the weight was on for and how quickly it was lost. You may end up with quite a lot of loose skin once you hit maintenance, and over a couple of years it will shrink some (sadly it's usually not all of it). I for one don't seem to be getting the excess skin on my belly, but on my arms and butt.

In the end, even if you do have some loose skin on your belly, it's ultimately better than still having the 80lbs on you. There's nothing much you can do other than to keep doing what you're doing. Ab work / leg lifts will work on the muscles, but will not move the fat overlying them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!