Nights out and alcohol!

Options

Replies

• MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not judging at all, but I will say be careful, and no matter what you decide to do, always have a DD.

Make sure you get your work out in that day and stick to drinks that don't have sugary "mixers" added.

I myself am a beer girl when I go out...and MGD64 is the way to go... 64 calories :) Of course, many places don't have that, so even Michelob Ultra is low. And it's low because of lower alcohol content, so your 19 drinks is more like 8. Just keep that in mind if you're worried about social stigmatism and "keeping up with the crowd"

Be careful ;-)
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to have had a lot to drink on nights out. I don't want this to turn into a post where people judge or criticise me for my alcohol intake. I drink once in a blue moon nowadays. I'm aware that I drink a lot occasionally. To be honest, the 'over 19 drinks' was probably the old me - I haven't been out much since my binge drinking days as a student, so perhaps I'm still assuming I'm that person. I might find that I'm content with less alcohol nowadays, I don't know yet what will happen! Please can you not judge, I was just looking for some friendly advice on how people factor in alcohol to their lifestyle :/

Depending on where you are going I am hoping the size of these drinks or actual shots in them are pretty small. Otherwise you have both a calorie concern and a health concern. > and I've had points in my life where I can drink a bottle and 1/2 of wine in one sitting. But seriously I just did a winery tour ( which is a nice way of saying drinking for 4 days) BUT...eat healthy, small portions, carry snacks with you, so you won't hunger bindge in addition to drinking. If it is just a day thing I try to eat healthier that day beforehand. Good breakfas, soup and salad type for lunch and grilled chicken for dinner with bread. ( you need something to absorb the alcohol) Also pace yourself its been a while, your tolerance will have changed.

I would also maybe get like 1/2 drinks if you can to milk it a while or alternate between your drink and normal diet coke.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You do realize that 19 drinks is more than an entire fifth of vodka, right? Are you SURE you are drinking that much? I am a grisled veteran at drinking, currently weigh over 300 lbs, and if I tried to drink that much (even in my HAYDAY), I would be in a whole lot of trouble......
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So I'm not going to judge. The only thing I'll say is to be careful because if you haven't drank in a while, you're tolerance level has changed dramatically and you will feel the affects of alcohol much quicker than you did during your last night out.

Pace yourself. :flowerforyou:

Oh, and I like Bacardi & Diet's (tall with a lime). 3-8 oz drinks equal 198 calories, and 2-3 are a good night out for me...
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Based on what I read here, I recommend having one cheat day where you only drink 2-3 alcoholic beverages. Plan for that day by adjusting your eating the day before and after and maybe add some extra cardio to help offset it.

I am a little confused about the 19-drink thing, but that's a lot of calories to compensate for with cardio. Plus, there is a train of thought out there that your body uses alcohol before all other fuel, so any alcohol consumption will reduce your fat consumption.

Good luck!
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to have had a lot to drink on nights out. I don't want this to turn into a post where people judge or criticise me for my alcohol intake. I drink once in a blue moon nowadays. I'm aware that I drink a lot occasionally. To be honest, the 'over 19 drinks' was probably the old me - I haven't been out much since my binge drinking days as a student, so perhaps I'm still assuming I'm that person. I might find that I'm content with less alcohol nowadays, I don't know yet what will happen! Please can you not judge, I was just looking for some friendly advice on how people factor in alcohol to their lifestyle :/

I don't think people are judging you, but rather are more concerned for you.

Perhaps. I really wish I hadn't posted this now, or had at least not mention my alcohol consumption, as it doesn't reflect who I am NOW. It reflects who I was in my binge drinking years at Uni. I'm aware that it is a ridiculous amount to drink, I'm not oblivious to the effects of alcohol and I realise that it is extremely detrimental to my health. I just made a silly reference to how much I would've drank in the past, assuming I'm still that person. Which I definitely am not :P

I am pretty sure we all had crazy nights a college! I sure have... so I understand.
  • cathmaow
    cathmaow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Someone said an exercise comment and I want to agree. I became dedicated to spinning, running, and lifting so when these nights do come up I just think about the next day and how miserable I'm going to be hungover and want to miss my gym day. It's a ****ty feeling after I had about 5 of those experiences. I like my gym and clean eating. It's given me results and I love it.

P.s. Don't listen to those who judge. A bunch of people here suck.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You might find that, as you've been off the booze for a little while anyway, you won't need nearly 19+ drinks to get hammered. If you want to drink that much, I think probably a 'caution to the wind' approach will ensure you have a worry free night. After all, one night isn't going to hurt all that much.

I work in a pub, so I've found that my urge to drink was severely diminished by the time I found MFP anyway - I've been sober around waaaaay too many drunk people in my life! Personally, I tend to eat at a larger deficit for the day so I can fit in a few drinks if I know I'm going out, and I've switched from fruit ciders (320 cal per bottle!) to vodka diet coke.

I don't want to come over all mumsy, but if you are going to drink that much, make sure you stay with your friends, and stay safe. There are too many tragic 'end of the night' cases out there.
  • bnicole0830
    bnicole0830 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I don't think people are judging you, but rather are more concerned for you.

Perhaps. I really wish I hadn't posted this now, or had at least not mention my alcohol consumption, as it doesn't reflect who I am NOW. It reflects who I was in my binge drinking years at Uni. I'm aware that it is a ridiculous amount to drink, I'm not oblivious to the effects of alcohol and I realise that it is extremely detrimental to my health. I just made a silly reference to how much I would've drank in the past, assuming I'm still that person. Which I definitely am not :P

I am proud of you for recognizing that you have had made mistakes (we all have) and are seeking motivation and advice to continue your path to a better you!
    I make sure to drink a full glass of water between every drink and know my limits. If I have to have a drink to be comfortable somewhere, I probably shouldn't be there.
    Also, exercise before you get ready to go out at night and those endorphins will help you feel good without the help of extra alcohol!
    I still try to eat normal on nights I am going out. You don't want to increase your risk of getting too drunk by having too little food in your body and no matter how many calories the alchohol may have, it is not going to give you the needed nutrition.
    So, have fun! (Just continue to work on the moderation part and you will be fine)
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think I missed a few comments, and repeated them! Sorry!

also, p.s., to people suggesting this: please don't take your own mixers out with you, it's really not cool if you're on licensed premises - we're businesses too! :)
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Geeez! Im amazed how it takes 1 person to twist the post to having 19 drinks in 1 night out, actually read the original post before commenting people!!
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Someone said an exercise comment and I want to agree. I became dedicated to spinning, running, and lifting so when these nights do come up I just think about the next day and how miserable I'm going to be hungover and want to miss my gym day. It's a ****ty feeling after I had about 5 of those experiences. I like my gym and clean eating. It's given me results and I love it.

I should maybe arrange a gym date with a friend for the next day and make them hold me to it no matter what! Having that in the back of my mind would probably make me want to stay sober the entire night haha!

And thank you for not judging :) I feel about >< this small (I can't quite find the punctuation marks to accurately describe how small I feel!) after a lot of these comments. Plenty of students have done a lot of binge drinking in the past and I'm not going to be made to feel like I have an alcohol problem... I'm out of that situation now and binge drinking is a thing of the past for me!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If the meal you eat before you go out is carb moderate (I used to eat like a whole pizza, or a ton of hot chips - don't do this) you'll need less alcohol - so you won't need 19 drinks!

I have never counted how many drinks - but I once drunk the better part of a bottle of bourbon by myself at a house warming - being a student does crazy things for your alcohol tolerance

The benefit of eating less (eat a moderate meal!!!!) means less calories in drinks to get you to comfortable, and if you decide to eat a kebab on the way home it won't blow your calories into next week :)
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options
    You might find that, as you've been off the booze for a little while anyway, you won't need nearly 19+ drinks to get hammered. If you want to drink that much, I think probably a 'caution to the wind' approach will ensure you have a worry free night. After all, one night isn't going to hurt all that much.

I work in a pub, so I've found that my urge to drink was severely diminished by the time I found MFP anyway - I've been sober around waaaaay too many drunk people in my life! Personally, I tend to eat at a larger deficit for the day so I can fit in a few drinks if I know I'm going out, and I've switched from fruit ciders (320 cal per bottle!) to vodka diet coke.

I don't want to come over all mumsy, but if you are going to drink that much, make sure you stay with your friends, and stay safe. There are too many tragic 'end of the night' cases out there.

You're right - I more than likely will find I'm feeling a bit woozy after a couple of drinks, considering how long it's been since I last had alcohol and now that I've lost a bit of weight!

As hard as it is to believe (considering how this post has gone) I'm actually fairly sensible on nights out (when it comes to staying with friends, not getting myself into ridiculous situations etc) so if I do drink a lot then I know that I will be safe :) Thank you for your advice.. I think I'm just going to go easy on the alcohol at the weekend and see how a 'sober' night goes :P
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Geeez! Im amazed how it takes 1 person to twist the post to having 19 drinks in 1 night out, actually read the original post before commenting people!!

You should probably have read more than the first post. The OP is the one who said she has 19 drinks sometimes on a night out.

OP, I LOVE me some Jose Cuervo and drink it often. The problem is Jose also makes me want to eat, aaaaaand I do. Too much. So now, I just make room in my budget for it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

The OP herself said she drinks more than 19 drinks in a night out.

She indicated in her OP that she can't control her intake. Being able to control intake is pretty fundamental. Nobody can reasonably plan around a blackout night. She might binge on 4000 calories of ice cream and nachos and not even remember.

So first step has to be moderation. Which the OP indicated she'd try to do. Once she has control of what enters her mouth, she can plan around it, go over, have fun, whatever. But at least she'll be making a conscious decision.
  • NadineSabbagh
    Options

Thank you :)

I really don't know how this post has taken such a horrible turn. I made one comment which, in hindsight, I shouldn't have worded the way I did as it does not accurately reflect who I am NOW and my current alcohol intake (which is next to nothing!) I've been made to feel like an absolute idiot - so thank you for realising that this post has been twisted somewhat! :)
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    14. and maybe 21. if you have the extra calories to burn. :wink:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/excellent-reasons-to-drink-more-whiskey
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot - but only on weekends, myself. If it makes you feel any better (and less judged), I once drank an entire 26er of Baileys in a few hours. It was not a good thing later that evening and I haven't been able to drink Baileys since. That was over 20 yrs ago now, and I'm definitely not that person anymore. I do vaguely recall what it was like to be young and foolish though. :wink:

Now I rarely drink at all - we grow up and realize it's just not smart. Sounds like you are starting to realize that. You may find that one or two drinks will make you feel tipsy - especially since you haven't had any alcohol in a while. Definitely pace yourself with a water between drinks and if you find you are thirsty because you're on the dance floor etc, have 2 waters to every one alcoholic beverage. Keep hydrated on the good stuff. On the very rare occasion that I drink now, I get tipsy on just one cooler. I'm a complete light weight now - and I'm happy to be one.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Nope, i gotta disagree. Beastmode is the BEST way to scare off a hangover :) Theres nothing like waking up the next day and running out the sugar.:drinker: