Any advice on weight loss with PCOS?

Options
I've been trying for weeks to begin losing weight, I've been eating mostly healthy and not consuming more than I burn but I still can't seem to lose any weight :(
Does anybody have any advice?

Replies

• LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have severe PCOS and it definitely complicates weight loss. But, its not impossible. In my experience, staying within my calorie goal is vital. Personally, I try to stay away from processed foods and junk food, and stick to homemade meals. Also, cutting back on carbs (think diabetes/insulin resistance) makes a huge difference. This is beacuse of the way PCOS imapcts your hormones, insulin levels, and metabolism. Lastly, exercise. It doesn't have to be crazy, but your body needs it. I feel so much better and notice my symptoms are less severe when I've been working out. Keep at it!!! It may not happen overnight, but it WILL happen if you stick to it!! Good luck!!
  • metcastillon
    metcastillon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There is an amazing group for women dealing with PCOS. It has a lot of great information!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

The thing with PCOS is that every woman is different and what works for some may not work for you. It's important to continue tweaking your diet and exercise routine to find one that works for your body.

For me, I eat 1300-1400 calories a day, eating small high protein, medium fat, low carb meals every 2-3 hours. I also drink about a gallon of water a day. As for exercise, I prefer daily Tae-Bo workouts. I tried to get into running, but I read that running could actually increase cortisol (stress hormone) especially in women with PCOS, and that it could actually increase the symptoms. But, there are other PCOS-ers who have had great success with running! So, again, it's about doing what works for your body.

Best of luck, and know that you're not alone!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    How big is your caloric deficit? If you have PCOS-related blood sugar/IR issues, you may want to try a lower carb, higher protein and fat diet - many women have luck with that.

If not, I completely agree that you have to really commit to sticking to your calorie goal. I don't do anything special other than eat fewer calories and getting a decent amount of exercise. Some research suggests that all women with PCOS should go low carb, but my endocrinologist recommended that I personally shouldn't change what I'm doing because it's working (lots of bloodwork first).

My body also responds really well to weight lifting. I think the weight comes off a little more slowly than it should for the amount of calories I eat, but it's definitely working. You may have to try a few different methods to see what works for you.
  • spaz_muffin
    spaz_muffin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have it! Hang in there.
    I started walking in the morning, and at night, this past Tuesday. So, far I lost about 3-4 lbs. don't give up work hard. Sounds like your on the right path with food. When I get a new blender I will be back to healthy eating. Keep up the good work, and don't give up!