How often do you do Upper Body workouts

Options
Ok, I am extra morbidly obese, I just hit 299, I am starting upper body workouts. How often do you lift? everyday? every other day?

Replies

• alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi good for you for doing weight training. I have only been doing weight training since 7/3/15, with a personal trainer 3 x a week for an hour each session. I've seen lots of changes in my body in this short time. I also do cardio on most days. All the best to you.
  • yaygerbomb
    yaygerbomb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do full body workouts, 3x a week. As a beginner, I feel a full body workout is better for me as it keeps it manageable (as opposed to a split body workout, 4x week, multiple exercises) and in the gym less.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that when strength training one day of rest between using a specific muscle group helps in both recovery and building strength.
    So, alternate days for your arms/upper body. When you are ready you could do legs on the non arm/ upper body days.

Remember to take it slow until you are accustomed to the routine.

Cheers, h.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I do a couple days a week. Mostly calorie counting for loss and exercise for fitness. I do full body, upper, lower,core, cardio, whatever and whenever I can and fee like it. No need to make it a chore if you don't have to, just keep at it and it will work!
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness goals I have a trainer 3x a week but doesn't mean we do all upper body. You want to basically do

Upper body/abdominals
    Cardio
    Lower body/abdominals
    Cardio

And start again
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness goals I have a trainer 3x a week but doesn't mean we do all upper body. You want to basically do

Upper body/abdominals
    Cardio
    Lower body/abdominals
    Cardio

And start again

It does really depend on your fitness goals. That's not the only way to train.

I train my arms most days in some way. I do a combination of free weights, full body training (push ups, pull ups, burpees, box jumps, thrusters, wall balls etc), rowing, yoga, kettlebells, suspension training. I also use my gym's rock wall and monkey bars. I never just do an upper/lower body split (although some days have more of an emphasis on one of these) and I never just do abs. Everything else I do is plenty of ab work. I only do straight cardio once a week as active rest. My program is definitely not one for beginners but I'm just pointing out that you don't have to isolate different body parts in your gym work.

OP great job getting going with weights, you won't regret it! Weights and functional training has changed my body considerably.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own system, at the moment I'm doing chest and shoulders on day one, back and bi's/tri's on day two, legs and abs on day three, rest/cardio day 4 and then repeat cycle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend working with an established program rather than just doing your own thing. there are a lot of great beginner programs out there. you can also go to bodybuilding.com and get some templates.

i personally wouldn't recommend a split type of routine for a noob though...you will benefit more IMO from a full body program. often times a split routine has more volume of work than a noob should really being doing for proper recovery.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend working with an established program rather than just doing your own thing. there are a lot of great beginner programs out there. you can also go to bodybuilding.com and get some templates.

i personally wouldn't recommend a split type of routine for a noob though...you will benefit more IMO from a full body program. often times a split routine has more volume of work than a noob should really being doing for proper recovery.

Thanks