Coconut oil

Has anyone used coconut oil to help lose weight and has it worked or not?
Any answers appreciated as I would like to try it :)

Replies

• maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Helped in what way? As a substitute for certain higher calorie foods...??? That's the only way I could see it helping with weight loss??
  • honeybunch656
    honeybunch656 Posts: 44 Member
    Hello I cook my eggs in coconut oil just a little and bake with coconut oil. I'm always very careful to weigh it as I don't want extra calories. Hope you are having success.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Yes, I use coconut oil in things I eat and bake all the time. I follow a Ketogenic lifestyle and it's been almost a year now and so far I've eliminated 112 pounds. I am not attributing my weight loss to eating coconut oil; however, coconut oil is a very good source of healthy fat and coconut oil is also a medium chain triglyceride which means that if you eat coconut oil you should try to have it in the morning with whatever you have for breakfast Because it helps your body jump start its fat burning for the day. Medium chain triglycerides (MCT's) like coconut oil are easier for your body to break down than other kinds of fat, for example, long chain triglycerides. I prefer to use coconut oil In my baking. I learned from experience that trying to use coconut oil in cold dishes like shakes or smoothies does not work very well because it will get hard if you put it in a cold dish which is then put into the fridgerator. Lol Hope this information helps!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I hear coconut oil will balance your chequebook and mow your lawn now.
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    I use coconut oil a lot. But not "to lose weight." The only way to lose weight is to net the right amount of calories.

But coconut oil's great for coffee, foods, baking, skin care, hair care, etc., so we keep it in the pantry. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I use it as a hair and skin moisturizer and in baking and stuff, but the only thing it will do for your diet is add calories like any other oil. Metabolism and fat burning don't get jump-started or revved up by any single food or action.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Coconut and coconut oil is a no no for me because it is high in cholesterol and I have to reduce mine pdq