How's this for a Kettlebell Workout (Beginner Level)?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    hiyah fitness blender.com has a few kettlebell routines.
    the first one i did was.http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Beginner-Kettlebell-Workout-Kells-Kettlebells-Routine/a7/

yeah....i looked at this one too....looks very similar. It is really hard to keep your back perfectly flat like they show in the videos.....but i'm tryin!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    All of this info is fantastic! I have a 10lb kettlebell here at home and now I want to see if out library has those DVDs! May have to make a run there tomorrow!

No need to buy videos, just look on you tube!
    Umm..you don't buy videos at the library. Some of us may not have the bandwidth to do videos online (like me.)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are an amazing tool, and I credit them for a lot of my success.

All of the lifts in that workout are good, although I have never seen a press like that. Use a lighter weight and do one-arm presses. Neghar Fonooni and Marianne Kane have great YouTube channels full of kettlebell stuff.

Kettlebell swings are outstanding for high-intensity cardio, but you need a heavier weight for those than you'd use for presses. I think you could probably use the same kettlebell for swings, goblet squats, rows, carries, and single-leg deadlifts.

As the others have said, form is critical, especially on kettlebell swings. Keep a neutral spine at all times, and remember that the movement comes from your hips and glutes, not your upper body.

Great advice :smile:

Well done on first session OP! I'd definitely try and find a local accredited KB instructor to get your form checked initially and then you should be fine. Swings are the base of a lot of KB movements so it would be a good idea to learn them. The issue I've had with teaching people is that you need to use a light enough KB that they won't injure themselves if they do it wrong but this can lead to people just raising it up with their arms. Remember as was said above it's all hips and glutes that gets the KB moving. Arms are just levers.

I swing a 140lb KB. There is NO WAY I can lift that with my arms (front raise) :laugh:
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Well done on first session OP! I'd definitely try and find a local accredited KB instructor to get your form checked initially and then you should be fine. Swings are the base of a lot of KB movements so it would be a good idea to learn them. The issue I've had with teaching people is that you need to use a light enough KB that they won't injure themselves if they do it wrong but this can lead to people just raising it up with their arms. Remember as was said above it's all hips and glutes that gets the KB moving. Arms are just levers.

I swing a 140lb KB. There is NO WAY I can lift that with my arms (front raise) :laugh:
    [/quote]

Thanks - I felt like it went pretty well. I think it's a great idea to get someone to check out my form initially. Thank you for that. And WOW........140lbs - that is incredible!