Weight loss question??

Options
how long is it ok to eat a low calorie diet?? I have been feeling pretty tired lately and am wondering if maybe I've been eating too low for too long. Have been doing 1200 since June with the occasional high cal day ;) also, I haven't hit my goal weight so would like to continue with 1200 until I do. Thanks!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting adequate nutrition then you will be fine. Obviously avoid going losing too much weight so you wouldnt wnat to ever go and be underweight according to your BMI.

On a practical level if youve had enough or wnat a day off then take one and ease up lest you quit properly. If you need more food then one of the benefits of exercise cna be the creation of additional eatback calories. I also find it gives me energy. Take it slow and steady.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1200 is really too low for most people. At the least, it makes sticking with the plan hard, because it's just not very much food. Bumping your calories up may slow down your rate of loss a bit, but it if helps you stick to the process, then you've come out ahead.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    If you've been feeling pretty tired, there's a good chance you're missing out on nutrition somewhere. Are you making your calories count? It's okay to eat more than 1,200. You should still be able to lose on a higher amount; you will just lose more slowly.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You did not list your stats so I'm not sure if 1200 is an appropriate amount of calories for you. If you are doing a drastic cut and don't have a lot to lose, then try upping your calories a bit (amount to lose .5 lb per week) and continue having a few higher calorie (maintenance or a little above) days when you get tired.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,972 Member
    Options
    MFP dropped me to 1200 soon after I started. That was just a bit too low for me, so I upped it to 1250. And I maintained that for 4 months.

However, I netted 1250 cal.

Exercise helped me a lot!

If I walked 1 hour and burned 200 cal, I could eat half that back ... 1350 cal.

If I cycled 1 hour and burned 400 cal, I could eat half that back ... 1450 cal.

So I rarely eat 1250 cal ... I usually ate more, and sometimes, if I did a long hike or long bicycle ride, I ate quite a bit more.

After 4 months, I hit my first goal, so I took a little break for about a month, and then continued toward my second goal. This time I'm netting 1350. Might make the weight loss a little bit slower, but that's OK. And I feel like I can maintain this for a while ... it feels fairly comfortable. :)

You might consider raising your limit a little bit so it is a bit more comfortable. And don't forget to eat at least half your exercise calories back.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're averaging 1400 a day (*only checked 3 days). When was your last physical? Any chance of pregnancy?
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for th responses! I am 25, 5"1 and 113 lbs. last physical was in April but I am going back again soon bc I may have auto immune issues. Lol no chance! ☺️
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    You did not list your stats so I'm not sure if 1200 is an appropriate amount of calories for you. If you are doing a drastic cut and don't have a lot to lose, then try upping your calories a bit (amount to lose .5 lb per week) and continue having a few higher calorie (maintenance or a little above) days when you get tired.

Thanks! I will try this. My stats are listed above :)