Lifting but scale isn't budging

Options
I have been working out regularly for a few weeks now- 4 days a week, the first 2-3 weeks I was doing 20-30 minutues speed/incline intervasl on the treadmill, last week I started following Jamie Eason's LiveFit program.

My clothes do fit differently, I hadn't been tracking inches but I took measurements last night to start using that to gauge. But my scale isn't budging! Very frustrating when I do need that scale to budge as it hovers around 230.

I wonder if its because I am doing a lot of weight lifting? But shouldn't those pounds eventually begin to fall off? I am watching what I am eating, not tracking calories but eating sensible foods, low carb, and appropriate portion sizes. The only meal I have carbs with is lunch, in a sandwich with whole grain bread. I drink a lot of water and sometimes sweet tea and coffee, but no pop or juice

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Clothes fit better (that's what I assume differently means) then something is clearly working. I've lost a whole 7.8 pounds since the start of may (Which is a great rate, no complaints) but my tight medium workout shorts now need tied to avoid unfortunate incidents when squatting. And I'm no small chick (at a lovely 150+)

Further more unless you have some kinda issue that makes you restrict carbs, stop it. Carbs are not the devil.

Do count your calories. You may be eating at maintenance accidentally which would keep your weight the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eating more sensibly is great...getting more nutrition is great...portion control is great...working out is great...but none of the above guarantee you that you're at a deficit of calories for weight loss. I eat very healthy, and I can easily over consume nutritionally dense, healthy foods. When I'm training I'm even hungrier, so it makes it that much more important that I'm actually tracking my calories because it's really easy to go over.

Also, you will retain water when you're lifting...I retain a good 5 Lbs or so. When I take a rest week I usually drop from 182ish to 176 - 178ish by the end of my rest week. If you're losing weight (fat) in a slow and safe manner...for example, 1 Lb per week...5 lbs of water weight would easily mask 4 Lbs of fat loss.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You do actually need to count your calories. "I eat pretty healthy" is probably the most seductive and least helpful weight-loss diet. You won't be able to figure out what to adjust if you don't know for sure what you're doing in the first place.

But yeah, inches are more important than pounds. Are you female? Have you been doing this less than a month? Water weight is a big issue - you're storing more in your muscles and depending on where you are in your cycle you could be retaining even more.

Track food, be patient. If the scale hasn't moved after a month, start making changes.
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    Hi there- yes, 27 year old female, 4-5 weeks now.

I decided I am going to start tracking my calories since its very frustrating to be working hard and getting minimal results!