High Blood Pressure Help

Options
Recently diagnoses with High blood pressure. I am overweight but it seems that it can be hereditary. Has anyone successfully lost enough weight to get off of blood pressure medicine? Doctor currently has me on hctz as a first line treatment. Also any tips on reducing sodium..omg it's everywhere and I'm literally scared to eat anything outside of fruit and veggies. Please help

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I had high enough blood pressure, to the point that my GP was going to put me on meds, and I said NO...screw that, I'm gonna lose weight. He said well if you can actually do that then great (yes, it was patronizing)...3 months later I've lost 40lbs and have normal blood pressure.
    Point is, losing weight was far easier for me than taking any meds, dealing with any side effects, and feeling the stress of keeping my 337lbs.
    I don't know you tho, maybe you have lost weight and it's just a hereditary thing you have to deal with, if so, just ignore all this haha. Point is, if you need to lose weight to get healthier, I know you can do it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Start making your own foods and salt becomes less of an issue. Kind of a non-issue. It's hard work at first, but after a while, it's just how you live and isn't a big deal at all.

Gum helps to keep a mouth moist and make you fell less thirsty.

Yes, many people lose weight, improve their health and get off the drugs. Some people are still hypertensive. No way to know which way you'll go, but getting healthier can only help!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight first and then get a reassessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Several have have reported they greatly reduced carbs and over time lost weight that helped reduce the blood pressure levels. If you do move to very low carb high fat eating most of us have to add salt because most sodium comes from processed foods like Coke, bread, packaged meats, etc.

You eating a very high carb diet may be one concern you want to Google and read more about the pros and cons as to causing high blood pressure.

Yes many report getting off of blood pressure meds working with their doctor and diet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Cook your own meals and do not add salt. At first, things will seem weird to you, but you get used to it in a few weeks. Check labels whenever buying things. For example, many canned vegetables might be high in sodium, so you will find that often fresh or frozen is the way to go. Also besides the obvious salty snacks, like e.g. potato chips. be careful when it comes to things like deli meats, sausages, smoked fish etc as these too can be high in sodium, as well as some types of cheese. But in general, after the first adjustement period, you learn what to avoid, and especially when cooking at home, not adding salt is very easy and you can still enjoy your food as usual.
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had high enough blood pressure, to the point that my GP was going to put me on meds, and I said NO...screw that, I'm gonna lose weight. He said well if you can actually do that then great (yes, it was patronizing)...3 months later I've lost 40lbs and have normal blood pressure.
    Point is, losing weight was far easier for me than taking any meds, dealing with any side effects, and feeling the stress of keeping my 337lbs.
    I don't know you tho, maybe you have lost weight and it's just a hereditary thing you have to deal with, if so, just ignore all this haha. Point is, if you need to lose weight to get healthier, I know you can do it.

Thank you! As I mentioned I am newly diagnosed so I've been watching what I eat and monitoring my sodium although I have made some slip ups during the last two weeks I'm way better than before. However knowing I have high blood pressure has triggered panic attacks and anxiety because my grandmother dies at 39 years old from an aneurysm associated with her having high blood pressure. My doctor felt I could lower it without meds as I wasn't really bad off but my anxiety from some of the symptoms of having HBP would cause serious peaks so when I called him he Said he will put me on water pill(hctz) until I lose the weight.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Start making your own foods and salt becomes less of an issue. Kind of a non-issue. It's hard work at first, but after a while, it's just how you live and isn't a big deal at all.

Gum helps to keep a mouth moist and make you fell less thirsty.

Yes, many people lose weight, improve their health and get off the drugs. Some people are still hypertensive. No way to know which way you'll go, but getting healthier can only help!

Thanks for the tip and replying to my post☺️
  • AspenDan
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thank you! As I mentioned I am newly diagnosed so I've been watching what I eat and monitoring my sodium although I have made some slip ups during the last two weeks I'm way better than before. However knowing I have high blood pressure has triggered panic attacks and anxiety because my grandmother dies at 39 years old from an aneurysm associated with her having high blood pressure. My doctor felt I could lower it without meds as I wasn't really bad off but my anxiety from some of the symptoms of having HBP would cause serious peaks so when I called him he Said he will put me on water pill(hctz) until I lose the weight.

Seems like you're the perfect candidate for some calorie deficit medicine =) there's a ton of helpful posts around here on how to establish a good deficit and track your calorie intake..that's really all I've done to lose weight so I know you can too.

Side note, people here can be overly opinionated and down right patronizing, so try not to let that hurt your feelings, it's just the internet, after all =)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I cook my food. I've learned to cook with less salt and give flavor to my food with herbs and spices, and use "lower sodium" products as well. For me it's hereditary, but I'm still losing weight and trying really hard to eat less sodium. :)
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    Several have have reported they greatly reduced carbs and over time lost weight that helped reduce the blood pressure levels. If you do move to very low carb high fat eating most of us have to add salt because most sodium comes from processed foods like Coke, bread, packaged meats, etc.

You eating a very high carb diet may be one concern you want to Google and read more about the pros and cons as to causing high blood pressure.

Yes many report getting off of blood pressure meds working with their doctor and diet.

I was considering and kind of following the Dash diet because I have 3 kids and a hubby I just thought low carb would just be too much to navigate but a clean diet with low sodium is easier to maintain at least. Buying a lot of Mrs. Dash seasonings.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My weight loss definitely helped eliminate my high blood pressure. Since losing 60 pounds, I'm no longer on blood pressure medication. Now I continue to maintain the weigh loss, get a little daily exercise and monitor my sodium intake by reading labels and using minimal added salt. Good luck. I thought mine was hereditary but found out otherwise.
  • neeneybug
    neeneybug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a rn case manager , if u eat clean and workout,as u lose weight., the Htn will go away as well it's a win win!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    diet and exercise and weightloss will help some and not others. I have hypertension that is totally hereditary...losing 40-50 Lbs hasn't made it go away, nor has a stellar diet, nor has regular exercise.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hypertensive and we've figured out that it's attributed to genetics, smoking and his weight. When he makes an effort to cut down, his blood pressure drops a bit as well, just never to perfect levels. I would suggest monitoring at home and not just at the doctor's office. There is such a thing as white coat syndrome which some people suffer from. Besides, a diabetic checks keeps track of blood sugar at home and so should a hypertensive.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My hypertension is hereditary. I have lost weight and still have to take hctz. When I went off of it for a while I gained 9 lbs of water weight (edema) and had massive headaches. My Dr. gave me a smaller does and I monitor my blood pressure at home.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Had a high blood pressure
    Very high!!!!

But started to lose weight I cook myself and dont add salt to anything
    I eat a lot of spices and herbs in my food
    After a month of 3 it came slowly down

and here 10 months later and 105 pounds lighter it is stable at a 120 over 72 range
    So it is possible yes. But not for everybody, only time can tell. But it is better for sure
    Also watch your potassium intake...try as high as possible.
    By weighing ALL my food and logging EVERYTHING like also coffee..i got a good overview of my potassium intake which helps a lot.
    Potatoes have a lot of it and bananas but spices and herbs too and vegetables and coffee.
    So every single bit counts.

I eat everything but i eat balanced....cook fresh food but also have my slice of pizza or my ice cream...key is portion control.

But i think you have to consult your doctor about what you have or not have to do. Also ask for a nutritionist who can help you.
    Dont take advice from people on a forum with no medical inside in your situation...it is your health you are talking about.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

I eat high carb! And my BP is perfect after losing weight and not adding salt to my food.

• AspenDan
    Options
    @BWBTrish Does potassium help with blood pressure? I did not know that.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Wow your team of professionals didn't tell you that??? While you have a high BP and cut out salt..........

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Just from Googling

****Most people who eat a healthy diet should get enough potassium naturally. However, many Americans don't eat a healthy diet and may be deficient in potassium. Low potassium is associated with a risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, cancer, digestive disorders, and infertility.*****