When Should I Stop Gaining?

Options
Hey,

I have been bulking up now for three months. I have gained about 10-12lbs (148-150 now) and have definitely seen increases in all of my major lifts (up to about 225 in Deadlift, over 250 in squat, approaching 205 in bench) and people are saying I am filling out well. I personally don't see a difference as all my clothes seem to fit the same to me and my weekly pictures in my opinion don't seem to different. I do notice a change in my thighs and butt areas though. My question is, how do I know when to end this bulk? I am not particularly keen on doing a bulk cut cycle, I felt like my weight was too low for my height (5'8) and just wanted to gain weight and get stronger. But I don't think I have a good sense of how I look so can't evaluate reasonably when I have put on too much. Does anyone have an objective place where I should end my bulk? My waist size seems to be sitting at approx 29.5" at the moment and chest is around 36-37 inches.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    You stop when you've believed you've done enough. It may be at 20lbs. Really only you know when you are satisfied.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You stop when you've believed you've done enough. It may be at 20lbs. Really only you know when you are satisfied.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The thing is, I could always be stronger in my opinion but again, I would usually stop when I see in the mirror I have put on enough. But I really have trouble seeing these changes. Do you think I should continue on to 160 and see how I feel at that? Again, all my clothes still fit though some over my smaller shorts fit a little more snugly in the thigh and butt
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to define an end goal for yourself.
    It can be a physical one (clothes size, changes in the mirror, etc.) or a weight one.
    Or perhaps even a time one (I'll stop after this many months.)

There is no rule that defines when a bulk should end.
  • dpr73
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I think you really need to define an end goal for yourself.
    It can be a physical one (clothes size, changes in the mirror, etc.) or a weight one.
    Or perhaps even a time one (I'll stop after this many months.)

There is no rule that defines when a bulk should end.

Okay. I was considering doing 160lbs at the beginning, at around 5'8 or so (haven't taken my height in a while). Does this seem reasonable? I really assumed by now my smaller sized pants (size 28 waist) would not fit and it would give me a better idea of where I should be but to my surprise they all still fit fine so now I am a little unsure I guess about my progress.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The thing is, I could always be stronger in my opinion but again, I would usually stop when I see in the mirror I have put on enough. But I really have trouble seeing these changes. Do you think I should continue on to 160 and see how I feel at that? Again, all my clothes still fit though some over my smaller shorts fit a little more snugly in the thigh and butt
    Sure why not?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Bulking is not 100% neccessary to increase strength. It definitely makes it easier of course. It's a general rule of thumb that when your waist size (around your belly button) has increased by 2" that you should look to switch back to maintenance and recomp or go into a cut (calorie deficit)

From experience I have always maintained my strength while cutting so in reality you are increasing your strength.
  • dpr73
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Bulking is not 100% neccessary to increase strength. It definitely makes it easier of course. It's a general rule of thumb that when your waist size (around your belly button) has increased by 2" that you should look to switch back to maintenance and recomp or go into a cut (calorie deficit)

From experience I have always maintained my strength while cutting so in reality you are increasing your strength.

I didn't take a measurement at the beginning to know my exact waist size, my belts are all at the same hole though and pants still fit. So I am assuming I haven't hit the 2" yet. I think I'll set the goal of 160 then move to maintenance. I essentially just wanted to gain some muscle and strength to maintain in the long run, as I thought a little more weight would also lead to a more sustainable lifestyle overall.

• dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    DPR your lifting heavy for a 160lb guy . I am envious !!