"Dangerous" Dog Breeds

Options

Replies

• StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have a Boxer, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (2nd one of this breed), and a Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff aka "Hooch").

Boxer - bred to be guard dogs / police dogs. Mine - sweet snuggle bunny, wiggle butt, great with kids even though she was never raised around or with any. Is a "mediator" at the dog park (breaks up fights between other dogs by chest-butting the aggressors and growling at them...really hilarious since she's on the small side (~60lbs), OLD (12yrs and completely grey in the face/ears).

French Mastiff - "War dog"...bred to be nothing but aggressive beasts to take down man and horse. Mine - 9 months old, 100lbs of lazy, goofy, shy, sweetness. She loves man and dog. I'm sure she'd run from a horse.....rofl.

Chessie - bred for COLD water duck / fowl hunting on the Chesapeake bay. Also the only retriever breed intentionally bred with guarding instincts (that I know of) THIS is the aggressive dog of the group. As was our last one. Whodda thunk?? I don't trust her, unsupervised, around kids. She's pretty good with other dogs, but would certainly NEVER back down from a fight if someone started one (neither would the last). Likes people, after we acknowledge that they are friends, but aggressively (teeth everywhere...so the neighbors say.) defends the door if someone knocks when we're not home.

Yes, it's certainly all about the upbringing, but instincts do go a long way, depending on the breeding. Our Chessie came from "champion" field dog stock (we bought her as a companion dog) and clearly she hails from a lineage that took the guarding part to heart. In most people's minds, they would fear the Mastiff the most....and she is by FAR the least aggressive of the group. Now, that being said, if you did somehow piss her off.......

And that's where the problems with "certain breeds" come in. Pitty's, in my experience, have all been the super sweet lovers described on this page. But all it takes is one or two media-sensationalized story, and they all become evil man/dog killers. German Shepards, Chows, Boxer, Dobbies, Sharpei's, Akita's, etc have all had their time in the lime light.

The problem is exactly what you described. Unknowing, or uncaring, owners who get a dog because it's "cute" or they want protection, but don't know what they're doing (or don't care). Or the one's who get a breed as a penis-extention....

ALL dogs have the potential to cause harm....just like humans.

Also....all 3 of my dogs have been dog-park & doggie daycare dogs since early puppyhood. Breeding DOES matter.

*edited for unintentional excessive bolding!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No a properly trained dog is not dangerous, but they are still an animal without reason and some people that own these large herding and hunting breeds use it more for a status symbol and either dont train the animal or train it to be more aggressive. Pit Bulls are a very strong breed, and without a good strong leader they can kill. Actually any dog can kill, but these powerful dogs get the bad rap because of their strength and the fact when they go into attack mode it is very vicious and to the death.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    When I was born, we had three dobermans in the house and they were never ever dangerous. I've owned many different dog breeds, generally all medium-extra large and none of them were born "dangerous".

And I'm glad you've brought your puppy inside! Give clicker training a try, worked wonders with our dogs.

We also used clicker training with our Boston Terrier. We put him through 2 puppy classes when we first got him, and they use clicker training in those classes. Very effective!
  • StarChanger
    Options
    And for the no dangerous dogs I have to disagree. I would say a chihuahua lol. I've worked in a shelter for 8 years (yes we've had animal aggressive pits in) but the only dogs I'd ever been bit by there were chihuahua's. lol

I was a vet tech for several years....for me, Chihuahuas and Cocker Spaniels. I know people love them and I am a TOTAL dog lover, but I don't trust either of these breeds. This is also why I prefer big dogs. Big dogs absolutely warn you if you are invading their space....little dogs will just bite you first and ask questions later. That being said, when I get old and can't handle big dogs any more, I think I want a Pug...or maybe a Boston Terrier. Their are some really cool small breeds out there...I need to do more research before I get old. ;)
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    And for the no dangerous dogs I have to disagree. I would say a chihuahua lol. I've worked in a shelter for 8 years (yes we've had animal aggressive pits in) but the only dogs I'd ever been bit by there were chihuahua's. lol

I was a vet tech for several years....for me, Chihuahuas and Cocker Spaniels. I know people love them and I am a TOTAL dog lover, but I don't trust either of these breeds. This is also why I prefer big dogs. Big dogs absolutely warn you if you are invading their space....little dogs will just bite you first and ask questions later. That being said, when I get old and can't handle big dogs any more, I think I want a Pug...or maybe a Boston Terrier. Their are some really cool small breeds out there...I need to do more research before I get old. ;)
    I agree with Chihuahuas and add Min Pins. Omg those things are soooo mean. Would never adopt into my family.
    My aunt had a cocker spaniel. He was hyper, but loved him. great dog!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are too many idiot OWNERS out there. I live in a middle/working class area where pits have become a popular breed in the past several years - I think due to TV shows and everybody wanting to rescue them. I have pits living on all sides of me. When I go for walks, every other house seems to have pits or pit mixes, which would be fine, if people were taking proper care of them.

My neighbor dogs were ALL really cute, sweet little puppies who used to come up to the fence for scratches and loving. But as they grew into adults (a total of 5 pits from 3 different owners) they ALL started barking, growling, snapping and charging the fences when I go into my back yard. It's like they stopped recognizing me after puppy stage. Sometimes they get so worked up they start attacking each other. I know one of the dogs to my right needed stiches after one of these frenzies.

On one side, the fence has needed to be shored up a couple of times because they're breaking it. This bothers me because I was here before these dogs, and my yard belongs to me, but they act like it's theirs. I have a garden and these dogs make it un-fun to be outside. One of these days that fence is gonna break and I hope I'm not outside when it does!

These are ALL outdoor dogs. The people got them when they were puppies, blathering on about how sweet and adorable pits are, and when they got bigger and started to be a pain, they were sent outside to bark incessantly day and night and charge the fences and menace the neighbors. And if you even hint that their dogs are a problem, all hell breaks loose and the owners freak out on you.

I'm not looking to start a feud with the neighborhood, so I'm forced to live with it. My problem is not with pits. It's with the average pit owner. They take in pits and them abandon them in the yard, where they become a nuisance and a hazard.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    That being said, when I get old and can't handle big dogs any more, I think I want a Pug...or maybe a Boston Terrier. Their are some really cool small breeds out there...I need to do more research before I get old. ;)
    Boston Terriers are awesome, they are a cousin of the bully breeds, and were bred down from the larger Boston Bull many years ago. They are a lot like their larger counterpart in they're loyal, tenaious, high-spirited and good guards for smaller breeds, and can also be quite stubborn like the bully! We've had 2 and love them, we'll never live without one!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are too many idiot OWNERS out there. I live in a middle/working class area where pits have become a popular breed in the past several years - I think due to TV shows and everybody wanting to rescue them. I have pits living on all sides of me. When I go for walks, every other house seems to have pits or pit mixes, which would be fine, if people were taking proper care of them.

My neighbor dogs were ALL really cute, sweet little puppies who used to come up to the fence for scratches and loving. But as they grew into adults (a total of 5 pits from 3 different owners) they ALL started barking, growling, snapping and charging the fences when I go into my back yard. It's like they stopped recognizing me after puppy stage. Sometimes they get so worked up they start attacking each other. I know one of the dogs to my right needed stiches after one of these frenzies.

On one side, the fence has needed to be shored up a couple of times because they're breaking it. This bothers me because I was here before these dogs, and my yard belongs to me, but they act like it's theirs. I have a garden and these dogs make it un-fun to be outside. One of these days that fence is gonna break and I hope I'm not outside when it does!

These are ALL outdoor dogs. The people got them when they were puppies, blathering on about how sweet and adorable pits are, and when they got bigger and started to be a pain, they were sent outside to bark incessantly day and night and charge the fences and menace the neighbors. And if you even hint that their dogs are a problem, all hell breaks loose and the owners freak out on you.

I'm not looking to start a feud with the neighborhood, so I'm forced to live with it. My problem is not with pits. It's with the average pit owner. They take in pits and them abandon them in the yard, where they become a nuisance and a hazard.

I have this problem too but they aren't pits they are labs and they scare the **** out of me. They are just left outside and ignored. I think any dog can turn aggressive if they are ignored
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I have this problem too but they aren't pits they are labs and they scare the **** out of me. They are just left outside and ignored. I think any dog can turn aggressive if they are ignored
    People Like this should not own dogs PERIOD! ANY BREED! Sorry ya'll are having to deal with crap like this! :frown:
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry you have to go through that. That's exactly where my puppy was headed. She chewed through the AC unit housing outside TWICE.. She dug through rock and dirt against the house. She chewed the neighbor's pipe that was coming out of their house.. Boredom and anxiety at its finest
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We've raised and bred APBT for many years, they are some of the sweetest, most loyal family dogs you will ever own! That being said, they are NOT for everybody, nor are many other breeds of protection type such as rottiess, dobbies, shepherds, mastiffs, ambulls, etc.... with breeds such as these comes great responsibility, well with any breed really, but protection breeds even more. Yes, any dog can be vicious, my grandma had a Chihuahua under 8 pounds that would eat *kitten*, however the difference is 50-100+ pounds! Rarely do you hear of Chihuahua attacks, though I am sure it happens quite often, but the amount of damage they are able to do compared to a large, powerful protection breed is insurmountable....

We have since stopped breeding after losing our beloved male APBT Brutus at age 14 several years ago, and currently do not own any APBT, but we still love the breed! We do have an 90 pound AMBULL who we rescued at the age of 8 months. When we got him, he was schizophrenic, hated men, and was afraid of his own tail and shadow. Now he is 5 and an awesome member of our family, though he still gets the crazy eyes and weirded out at least once a day, as AMBULLS are known for their aloofness. He is the best protection dog we've ever owned, but you have to be careful with him, as he is a great judge of character. If you're calm & chill, he will eventually warm up to you on his own time. If you're sketchy & shady, chances are you won't be at our house for very long. It the words of dog whisperer, Caesar Millan - "No touch, No talk, No eye contact."

Well said, my thoughts exactly.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I agree with Chihuahuas and add Min Pins. Omg those things are soooo mean. Would never adopt into my family.
    My aunt had a cocker spaniel. He was hyper, but loved him. great dog!

Ugh... I strongly dislike the cat toy breeds.. I agree with the above assessment that they bite first ask questions later... not to mention their annoying and incessant yapping.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'm so glad you stepped in to take care of her. And I completely agree they can be the most loyal and loving pets, it really is the OWNER's responsibility and the OWNER determines how dangerous the dog is. However, the breeds all carry a purpose and are developed for a certain task, and a pitbull IS more dangerous than most dogs, because it has been bread to fight and kill and take down large animals with a locking jaw. They all do have their own personalities, and the owner is the biggest determinant for how one acts, but they still do have their developed genetic tendencies and I hope you realize you need to be more vigilant as a happy pitbull owner than as a happy lab owner, especially around dogs and small children, etc.

I love dogs, and I really do agree that most think they are more dangerous than they are, however I am still most hesitant to let mine mix at first with dogs of the pitbull breed: I never want to be faced with the situation when a pitbull locks on to another dog or person and have to decide whether to try to wrestle the dog and use something as a breaking stick to open its jaw (and be at risk of being bitten myself), or worse...and I find too many situations where a person is being lead around by a large pitbull and obviously not in control of it. And each breed has their own tendencies and circumstances they can become dangerous in. You have the added problem of a dog who sounds like was not treated well, and may have certain situations she reacts to.

Currently, I have two large German Shepherd/Huskies, and they are the sweetest dogs to people and go right up to anyone: usually they will go up and lick your face. However, one of them will sometimes jump on you to greet you and can knock small people over, so I dont let her approach children or elderly without holding her leash tight and always warning people. And the other knows when someone is hiding/doing something they arent supposed to and suddenly will growl and become defensive under those circumstances. I had a sweet lab in the past, who would also greet anyone and play happily all the time, never ever aggressive, but one day while I was having a squirtgun fight with my friend (we were kids) she bit his leg trying to protect me! (if that was a pitbull I might have had to learn how to use a break stick fast!) Another separate dog I had noticed was very friendly, but when a kid pestered him he got grumpy...so I watched him extra carefully and I would never let children alone with him...if he had been a pitbull, I probably would not want children playing with him.

I wish you the best and hope it never ever happens, and it probably never ever will, but I hope you are prepared mentally, become the dominant loving owner, and realize that a dog can be the sweetest dog you have ever owned, and still under certain circumstances you may be surprised by, become dangerous. I also hope you research how to use a breaking stick to open a pitbull's jaws in case it ever does react differently than you'd expect...just in case! Its so much better being prepared than the alternative, for your sake, the dog's and everyone around you.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aeb_1315870190
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When I was born, we had three dobermans in the house and they were never ever dangerous. I've owned many different dog breeds, generally all medium-extra large and none of them were born "dangerous".

And I'm glad you've brought your puppy inside! Give clicker training a try, worked wonders with our dogs.

You know what? I will.. I've heard so many positive reviews about it..

Clicker training or shape training is AWESOME. You can literally train a dog to do about anything, shaping really complex, multi-step behaviors with proper technique.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you stepped in to take care of her. And I completely agree they can be the most loyal and loving pets, it really is the OWNER's responsibility and the OWNER determines how dangerous the dog is. However, the breeds all carry a purpose and are developed for a certain task, and a pitbull IS more dangerous than most dogs, because it has been bread to fight and kill and take down large animals with a locking jaw. They all do have their own personalities, and the owner is the biggest determinant for how one acts, but they still do have their developed genetic tendencies and I hope you realize you need to be more vigilant as a happy pitbull owner than as a happy lab owner, especially around dogs and small children, etc.

While I definitely appreciate your view, I have to disagree. I've seen just as much research that suggests that pit bulls DO NOT have locking jaws. Instead, they describe the STRENGTH of a pit bull's jaws as what makes it difficult to lessen a grip from their bite.

Also, in regards to them being more dangerous than labs or any other breeds, I don't think that's true either. In fact, doing a quick search of dog breeds most likely to bite, Labrador retrievers, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows are all on the list, so genetically speaking, your dogs are just as inherently dangerous as mine.

Unfortunately, comments like "if he was a pitbull, I probably _______" perpetuate the stereotypes. Pit bulls are no more disposed to be grumpy or vicious than any other dog. It is 100% about training, both the animal and whoever it interacts with.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Pit bulls jaws do not "lock". That is a myth. While their jaws are stronger than most dogs and they have a "hold and shake" mentality, their jaws are not structured any differently than any other canine.
  • xx8763xx
    xx8763xx Posts: 7
    Options
    Just finished reading this article so when I saw this post, it made me think about Lucas.

He was the "top dog" in Michael Vick's dog fighting ring. When Vick was charged and the dogs rescued, he went to live in an animal sanctuary where he happily lived out the rest of his years. It's so sad though, b/c he was never allowed to be adopted b/c of his past in the dog fighting ring even though all the workers said the he was the sweetest dog there and always had a "smile."

It's all about the owner's intentions, I truly believe that. If you raise a dog to be mean (any breed) then yeah, they're gonna be mean. If you treat them with love and respect then they will be much more likely to be a happy pup for his/her entire life. Now, I'm not saying that dogs don't have personalities of their own, which DO factor in, but overall it's just about proper training... and LOVE!

RIP Lucas. May you get lots of belly rubbins in Heaven <3

Here's the article, if anyone is interested: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/20/michael-vick-pit-bull-euthanized/
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Just for some general information on the common myths of Pit Bulls

Dispelling Common Myths About Pit Bull Terriers
    MYTH:
    The pit bull terrier is the breed most likely to bite.

TRUTH:
    NO! According to the American Temperament Test Society, in 2012, 86.8% of American Pit Bull Terriers passed society tests that measure stability, aggressiveness, friendliness, and protectiveness. 85.2% of golden retrievers and 80.1% of collies passed these tests.

MYTH:
    Pit bull terriers bite or attack more than any other breed of dog.

TRUTH:
    NO! Despite all the studies on dog bites, the American Veterinary Medical Association has found that no single breed is more dangerous than another. Rather, studies show the most popular breeds at any given time tend to top the list because there are more of those dogs in the general population.
    Source

MYTH:
    Pit bull terriers have locking jaws.

TRUTH:
    NO! According to Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin, Ph.D., senior research scientist at the University of Georgia and an expert in training, handling, behavior, and the anatomy of bull dog breeds, “The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles, and teeth of [American Pit Bull Terriers] show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any [other] breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of ‘locking mechanism’ unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.”
    Source: American Dog Breeders Association.

MYTH:
    Pit bull terriers have more bite pressure than any other breed.

TRUTH:
    NO! According to Dr. Brisbin (referenced above), “To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to unfounded rumor.”

Source: http://www.yourspca.org/pages/bred-to-love/dispelling-common-myths-about-pit-bull-terriers

I chose the SPCA because they tend to be less bias against specific breeds.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I had 2 rottis from 8 weeks of age each that were properly trained and socialized and were great dogs. My friend got a rotti as well as a young pup and he was a rotten jerk that was food aggressive and attacked people and other animals. He eventually had to be put down because of his behaviour after she contacted several well renound trainers for help and nothing worked. He was a total liability.

SO, I mostly agree that how a dog is raised plays a huge role in his eventual personality and behaviour, but I have also learned that there is the occasional bad egg. Not to say breed specific. The majority of dogs out there that bite and have no manners are little dogs, I found in my vet clinic experience.

Edited to say: why have a dog if youre just gonna leave it outside and never interact with it. :(
  • StarChanger
    Options
    Interesting site! Thanks for the info! www.atts.org

Just for giggles...here's my 3: (#tested, #passed, #failed, %)

BOXER 449, 375, 74, 83.5%
    DOGUE DE BORDEAUX 84 63 21 75.0%
    CHESAPEAKE BAY RETRIEVER 115 100 15 87.0%

"The pass-fail rate is not a measure of a breed’s aggression, but rather of each dog’s ability to interact with humans, human situations, and the environment."

Basically the polar opposite of my household, heh!

Edit: It should be noted that I can definitely see some statistical bias going on with those numbers, so they should be take with a grain of salt. For example, popular breeds, such as labs and pit bulls, have a sample size of 800+ dogs. There were only 115 Chessies, and only 84 Dogues (representing the relative rarity of the breeds). There were numerous obscure breeds listed where "100%" had passed testing....that included a sample size of ONE dog. ;)