I divorced my " sibling"

Options
lloydrt
lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
Nine years ago today, I divorced my sibling/brother Gary. After years of his treatment to me, to his family, and to my parents, I had enough
and just recently I have discovered that he has Narcasistic Personality Disorder.........he was the worst for me, even back when we were kids. Iknew something was different about him
In learing about him,I have seen him ruin his own daughters happiness, his son barely tolerates him, but sadly , his wife stands besides him.......Hes a minipulator and uses the Bible to control people

I had enough after I saw the real person he is .......a con artist, a manipulator, caniving , emotinally bankrupt, cold., a liar, a person that gets satisfaction on the pain of others, very very jealous when people have something that he wants, and he feels entitled to it all ,and then takes personal enjoyment when he stirs the pot and ruins it for everyone, esp during the holidays..

Nine years ago I walked away from a narcasist, and I have never looked back.....needless to say, he used to take enjoyment in making fun of how fat I was and really did a number on my self confiidence........ He has seen me once since I had lost 100 lbs and never even mentioned it.......I had accidentally run into him and his wife..........The worst human being that walked this earth and I can truly say it was the best thing I ever did...........

Do any MFP members have people who are narcistic ruin thier confidence and did any of you walk away, like I did.?....

Replies

• littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My dad has it, and to a lesser extent, my sister. Made home life hell. My sister got treatment, and my father...well, my mom divorced him, and I have limited contact. I know the pain, I know exactly what you mean. I'm sorry it had to be so dramatic, but sometimes that's the best it can be, I'm happy for you.
  • fitmaa
    fitmaa Posts: 13
    Options
    We all come across such people in our lives who effect us negatively in small or big ways. I can imagine how difficult it is to deal with when it is your own sibling. You did a good thing keeping him away from your life. I wish such people face the consequences of their behaviour but the thing that is weird is there are always some people who stand their non sense. But again it is not that easy to walk away from some people in our lives.
    Good for you. you took the right step. There is not point tolerating people who make our life miserable and don't have the decency to "live and let live".
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    MY BROTHER! hes a stealing, lying, untrustworthy, manipulating jerk! i walk away from him the last time he got lock up and never look back since, hes out now and want nothing to do with him, and my mother...ugh thats a whole differnt ball game i cant even get into now!!!!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think most siblings are very selfish (at least both of mine are). One in particular is super bad, and I haven't been able to walk away but its caused me to face deep choices....so I have an inkling of what you may mean. Nothing will make it easy, but just remember not to lose yourself as you deal w/ outside problems...time just keeps ticking and the storms just keep coming...if you are flexible you will bend maybe but not break...but if you form a rigid idea of what the world should be or what you or others should act like, then maybe you'll snap.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I haven't talked to my sister in almost 4 years. I haven't talked to my parents for the past year. But have had an on and off relationship with them for the past 4 years. I am finished with all of them for good now. I am pretty sure they all have some sort of personality disorder.