FISH

Options

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Mahi mahi filets have a very mild taste I just bake it with a little bit of pineapple salsa
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Swai is a good mild fish as well. It ends up tasting pretty much like whatever you cook it with spice-wise. I prefer it to tilapia and it is usually about the same price.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    I missed it...what is wrong with farm raised?

It depends on the farming methods. Some fish are pumped full of antibiotics to prevent spread of disease because they are raised in cramped quarters. Some fish/seafood farming practices are also very bad for the environment.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i tried orange salmon yesterday at brunch - not a fan. my husband said it's too harsh for someone starting-out. i appreciate all the input, i will definitely try all these ideas!
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I find that Talapia has the least fish taste....just season and bake 20 mins. or 30mins for firmer texture.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I aren't fans of fish, but we include it in our diet a few times a month. I find cod and haddock to be milder tasting. Start with a fresh fish and cook gently. Only cook until it flakes, which doesn't take as long as beef. To get my hubby to eat it, I often bread and fry (you could also bread and bake). Panko bread crumbs are nice and light.

Regarding mercury and fish, there are only a few species to avoid. Swordfish are found in the Gulf so that is one fish I'd avoid.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    this might sound like a stupid question but if i bread & fry my fish, will it decrease it's nutritional value? we do not eat fried chicken or fried foods for the most part, but i feel fish would be more palatable this way. just wondering if the breading & frying would be a negative that outweighed the positive of eating the fish?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Breading and frying adds calories by way of fats and carbs. So you get less protein per gram. But I got fish in him! I call it a win.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tilapia and basa are the fish that I've found are the most tasteless. Which is good if you don't like the taste! I had trout once that was also very chickeny but I wonder if it was just that trout (maybe it was river trout - it was fresh caught) since other people usually find it strong.

Try making fish tacos perhaps! Lots of other favours cover the taste. I also like shellfish like lobster, crab and shrimp.

People always recommended salmon to me and told me it was mild.. meanwhile I find it incredibly strong!! I've only just gotten used to it. People also say sole. I also find sole strong.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    What breading does is protect the tender outer layer from searing. Besides, lots of us love that crispy outer coating. Baking will get you less fat.

You can also bake in parchment. When I do that I put in some lemon, spices, and butter. But he likes it less than the breaded versions.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, and this fish hater loves this Mediterranean tuna salad. I've made it with leftover cod, too. Just as delicious.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845702616/
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like Tilapia, Mahi Mahi, Basa and haddock. I love Halibut, but it is expensive.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr. but I'm betting Tilapia has none of the benefits your Dr. intended when recommending eating fish.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The good stuff- wild caught alaskan - is too darn expensive.
    So, I take fish oil.
    Kirkland brand from Costco.
    2,000 mg a day.
    Never buy farm raised fish. Ever.
    Google - fish high in mercury to be avoided.
    Google - fish high in omega 3's.
    Note: Salmon at restaurants will always be farm raised unless otherwise specified on the menu.
    I don't think shrimp is high in omega 3's (at all).

Farm raised can be some of the most responsible, 'green' and delicious fish.
    Also, wild line caught is ideal.
    Most trawled or drag-net fishing can destroy habitat and is responsible for the by-catch (murder of undesirables such as crustaceans, rays, cetaceans, sea turtles etc).
    I eat Norwegian farmed deep, cold water salmon. This is some of the best and cleanest fish you can get.
    I also eat penned Branzino from Cyprus - amazing cooked as a whole fish, eyes stay clear for 2-3 days, no smell.

OP would be wise to start with mild, light fish. Fish with less oil will have less fishy taste. Arctic char, branzino, rainbow trout, tilapia, flounder, catfish and haddock are all ideal. You can use these fish in soups, chopped up with olives and carrots with greek yogurt as a sandwich filling, on tacos seasoned with jalepeno and ginger and salsa. So many options available - try cooking in different ways like on the BBQ w/ cedar plank or baked with lemon slices and onions or even w/ rice and vegetables as 'fried rice'. Shellfish is good, but as mentioned, not high in Omegas. Just, please be aware of the sustainability and sourcing of your fish/seafood.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your Dr wants you to lower your cholesterol, breading & frying would be a no no as well as any kind of butter/oil poaching.
    I have a hard time choking down fish w/o either of those methods, but I LOVE sushi or sashimi. Uncooked fish is as mild & un-"fishy" tasting as you'll get.

Simmer a can of crushed tomatoes & their juice w/ a few thinly sliced garlic cloves & red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt & a splash of vermouth or white wine for a few minutes & add a couple chunks of cod that's been seasoned w/ salt & pepper...poach a few minutes, just until fish flakes easily. I've eaten this from the pan but would be good served over a simple linguini too.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hey! Not all oils are on the baddy list! Like the unsaturated oils.
    http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/cholesterol-and-cooking-fats-and-oils
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    I missed it...what is wrong with farm raised?

It depends on the farming methods. Some fish are pumped full of antibiotics to prevent spread of disease because they are raised in cramped quarters. Some fish/seafood farming practices are also very bad for the environment.

I still personally find that preferable to the huge overfishing problem our world has. The farmed fish I buy are raised in Scottish lakes, where they would be anyway :)
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    tilapia. creole seasoning and lemon pepper. in fry plan w/ lil coconut oil or a spray. yummy. had for lunch.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    flounder is very mild and it is thin so easy to cook. Dust lightly with flour or fine fish batter cook in olive about 3 min a side.
    Canned salmon(milder thanfresh) and onion pepper egg and a little 3TBsp bread crumb, form in to cake fry or bake
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Quick note - do some research on Tilapia. I have heard that the way they farm raise them is not cool... I stopped eating it when I saw a documentary on this.

There are a lot of other similar fish that are seemingly not raised the same way.

R