edited August 2015 in Motivation and Support
Curious. Do you feel best about your body

- at home or out in public?
- in more/fewer/no clothes?

Replies

• GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't think public vs at home, or amount of clothes matters to me right now.

I have lost a good deal of weight (59 lbs in 5 years: 26 without MyFitnessPal and 33 in the last year with MyFitnessPal) and every time I look in the mirror, I see a thinner me but still realize I have quite a ways to go.

I am motivated by what I have done to continue on to lose more, even though it has often been incredibly slow!

This is a good topic of discussion though, Tomatoey. I will look forward to reading the answers others will post.

70044776.png
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    I feel better outside my home, oddly. I guess I am distracted from thinking about my body. And I definitely feel (and look) better with clothes on - but because my skin is disgusting, not because of my weight.
  • At home & wearing more clothes... (for now, anway) ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Thank you, @GreenValli :) Me too :)

Slow loss is the way to go, imo! At least that's the only way I've been able to endure it.

I know what you mean about feeling at odds about your body when looking at it, in a mirror. I sometimes have moments like that, when I take it as a strictly visual object (ie objectify myself), and make comparisons to some standard (like my body at age 20 or 34). But when I'm hanging out at home (not in front of a mirror), in e.g. shorts and a T shirt, I mostly feel pretty good about my body (or being in it). Even though my bf % isn't where I'd like it to be (high end of average range), and there are stretch marks I usually try not to see, and a couple of areas I'm not 100% happy with. (Those are things I notice when I'm objectifying.)

I'm not actively bothered about it when I'm out in public (clothed, lol), and I think I more or less am ok with myself, but I am slightly more self-conscious.

Right now, I'm at a BMI of 21.1. When I was at 19, but didn't have the muscle development I wanted, I felt great out in public, in clothes - I wore fashionable clothes, really enjoyed that - and less good at home in shorts.
  • vangeloh
    vangeloh Posts: 2 Member
    At home and wearing loose fitting clothes! Feel more comfortable that way! :)
  • tomatoey
    I feel better outside my home, oddly. I guess I am distracted from thinking about my body. And I definitely feel (and look) better with clothes on - but because my skin is disgusting, not because of my weight.

Bolded makes sense... I'm sad to hear you feel that way about your skin :(
  • tomatoey
    xxKrissxx wrote: »
    i hate my body regardless of where i am or what i wear

I wish that weren't the case.
  • tomatoey
    At home & wearing more clothes... (for now, anway) ;)

:)
  • tomatoey
    vangeloh wrote: »
    At home and wearing loose fitting clothes! Feel more comfortable that way! :)

:) Yeah, I like looser clothes too :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

This is sad :( You look like a very sweet and kind person. You should not be so hard on yourself.
  • tomatoey
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This is sad :( You look like a very sweet and kind person. You should not be so hard on yourself.

+1.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member

Kriss:

Your profile indicates you have lost a good deal of weight. Aren't you feeling good about wearing smaller clothes? Haven't family, friends, and co-workers acknowledged your success?

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    @xxKrissxx

Sorry folks around you aren't supportive, we think you're AWESOME! :smiley: Congrats on accomplishment! I hope you can find people here and irl who treat you with the compassion, support and love you deserve.

When I have bad days, yoga or the gym helps me. It makes me aware of what my body can do and shifts my focus from what it looks like. I've also recognized I don't see myself as I really am. It's a fight at the store to buy clothes in the right size--I still go for bigger than I need.

Buying some cute workout clothes has helped, as had increasing my weights at the gym and getting a faster time on my mile run. Again, shifting the focus to what my body can do, helps me look at it differently.

Hang in there, your healthier self is worth it! :blush:
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    I hope this is more helpful than it is annoying or indulgent, sharing in the hopes it might help a bit -

I remember that when I was at my starting weight, I didn't think much about my body at all, just sort of lived with it, ignored it. Strange things happened as I lost, some in my body, some in my mind.

Body stuff = weight came off in unanticipated ways, from different body parts at different times. Skin got loose - but eventually, mostly tightened up, over about a year after reaching GW, though there was a bit of a pooch at the stomach.

The fat on my thighs and stomach felt less solid than when I was bigger - more sort of marbly and loose. (This is something so many people have talked about here, that hasn't to my knowledge been researched much at all. It's apparently to do with the way fat cells hold and release water. My understanding is that when you get closer to goal weight, those cells deplete, as they let go of more water, and the fat feels more solid again. If you lift weights and build muscle underneath, the whole complex looks tighter and smoother.)

Mind stuff, also talked about lots on here. Just like when you gain, and have a mental image of yourself (as thinner) that's slow to catch up with changes, same things happen on the way down. It's distorted, confusing. Even how you move is confusing - I remember bumping into doors and missing chairs when I sat down bc I was still moving the way I did when I was bigger.

All that is stuff many people experience.

For me, when I was at a BMI of 19, I'd lost a fair bit of muscle mass, and I didn't so much love what I saw as a bony upper body. The end result wasn't what I'd pictured in my head when I started, and it didn't look like how I did when I was that weight (as a teen [!]). It was definitely a head trip. I'd just started lifting when I got injured, and regained some of the weight back (not muscle, I'll tell you that). Now, I can't lift the way I'd like, so my only option is to do what I can within my limits, and accept what I've got.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I feel most confident when I am out, probably in more clothes?? I mean, I dont wear a sweater or winter coat in the middle of summer. I typically dont even wear shorts or show my legs in the summer either - though I wear leggings often with a loose tunic top.

I guess this reminds me of an NSV - I wore short shorts to the beach the other day! Still wore a tank...but before I would wear loose capris to go swimming....yeah.

When I am at home, I am often just in pj pants and i feel gross. I feel the best when I am done up and out and a bout doing stuff!

When I was at my heaviest (250lbs)...I never left the house unless necessary...I often would hide my stomach as best as I could too. It was not fun.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Curious. Do you feel best about your body

- at home or out in public?
    - in more/fewer/no clothes?

At home or out in public doesn't make much difference for me.

While I would generally say MORE clothes, I tend to wear things that fit well. I hate baggy clothes. I recently went out dancing in a low-cut, backless dress with no bra and felt great. I guess fit and finding things that really work for my shape makes a difference. I feel good about my body from the boobs up and the hips down, but everything in the middle--not so much! I have no trouble baring legs, arms, back, decolletage...but I would never wear a bikini.

My body image varies. I have a lot of medical issues that have left their mark and I will probably have some plastic surgery at some point.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Funny I've never really thought about it before... But I'm very comfortable naked (especially first thing in the morning) in front of mirrors and around my apartment I feel really good and beautiful. It's once I try to find an outfit to wear and then leave the house that I start feeling very uncomfortable. I don't compare myself to others... But I judge myself harshly and wish I could wear shorts and fitted shirts without feeling like a giant human sausage shoved into cotton casing.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Wearing clothes that show my shape but not my skin. I'm getting old and have old lady belly skin now.