Feeling full w/o eating too many caleries?

Options
Has anyone used either

http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

or

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor

to pick out foods to eat that really should get rid of physical hunger symptoms.

I'd love to hear if any of this science is helpful to us? How, for example, d you use it in meal planning? Snacking? Traveling?

Replies

• USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links. I haven't used those.

I just do a cup of hot green tea (with a packet of splenda) and a small bowl of greek yogurt with some salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Always kills the hunger and for very low calories.
  • mndazhang
    mndazhang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that lean protein helps to keep me satisfied. I first found out how much protein I need in a day based on my age, gender, and activity level. Then I basically divided the amount of protein I need by four and every couple of hours, I would have a small meal/snack with that amount of protein. A steady intake of protein will help to keep you feeling satisfied throughout the day. That said, it took me about a week to get accustomed to my new eating style, but now I feel great!! :)

Oh, and this is a simple trick. Drink coffee (who doesn't drink coffee?). The caffeine will give your metabolism a boost and thus you will burn more calories! Just don't put in any/too much cream or sugar. If you like your coffee sweet, then maybe try honey or, better yet, cinnamon. In my opinion, it is better to stay away from artificial sweeteners.

Good luck! :)
  • mndazhang
    mndazhang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    USAMcK wrote: »
    Thanks for the links. I haven't used those.

I just do a cup of hot green tea (with a packet of splenda) and a small bowl of greek yogurt with some salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Always kills the hunger and for very low calories.

Your Greek yogurt dish sounds delicious, I am going to try it!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Eat more slowly. It takes your brain about 20 minutes to get a message from your stomach that you have eaten. It's kind of like uploading photos from your phone to iCloud to get them to your computer. :p
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Satiety is too complex for those indexes (or indices). We don't ususally eat just one food by itself. It works a bit differently for different people too. I just watched "Inside the human body" (BBC), featuring a woman who lived entirely on crisps. She had deficencies, but didn't lack energy, and didn't seem to be hungry. Some people report eating fat and/or protein helps with satiety. Others rely on the bulk of fiber, or water. Some use tea or coffee or cigarettes as appetite suppressants. Some will be more hungry from exercise, some less. I personally need variety - in taste, texture, color and temperature - different foods through the day, from day to day, season to season.

Another issue with this, is that this deals only with physical hunger. Cravings even when sated is a bigger problem for most people. For me, eating food I like that also has enough nutrients I need, prevents most of those annoying cravings.

My meal plan is sort of a template of fixed meals, where I pick anything I like that fits the category. For instance, for breakfast I will have 2 cripsbreads with spread, milk, fruit and vegetable - I rotate spread, fruit and vegetable. Dinner is any combination of fish/meat, stach and vegetable.

I don't regularly snack. When away from home, I accomodate, try to keep to some of my principles, while still enjoying the break in routines.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Look at the "Nutritional Target Map" for these two wonderful foods (an orange and lentils):

Keep in mind:
    1. The closer a food is to the right edge of the map, the more essential nutrients per calorie it contains.
    2. The closer a food is to the top edge of the map, the more likely it is to fill you up with fewer calories.

This give you any ideas?

When I'm on the road, I think I'll stick a couple of oranges in my bag as a healthy way to feel comfortable.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Note the search feature that allows you to find many foods. Not just basic ingredients like lentils but complete dishes:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/soups-sauces-and-gravies/10272/2
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Interesting links. I'm still shocked that oranges are so high in there. Maybe I should give them another go.

For me I like combining things. An apple alone won't do it, but with some cheese or nuts, it will fill me up much longer.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat more healthy fat. Because I eat a lot of healthy fats at my meals I am not hungry until the next meal time...so no snacking. It works really well, the hardest part is just getting over the commonly held misconception that dietary fat causes people to be fat.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I find proteins and fat keeps me full longer. So I eat very little diet products, and yes I eat butter and not margarine, and I eat up to my full MFP's allowance. I am not a big breakfast eater, so an egg for breakfast does me till lunch. Lunch will be proteins (tuna/chicken) with a large green salad, afternoon snack humous/quark/cottage cheese with berries or vegetable batons, then steamed veg with more proteins for dinner. If I am extra hungry, I'll add some seeds to my lunch time salad.

Most days I will have spare calories left over which I use on a fruit salad with a dollop of greek natural yoghurt/quark or a small treat/glass of wine.

I would not say I am stuffed, but these days stuffed feels uncomfortable to me, but I am satisfied and never hungry. I must admit, I did struggle in the beginning to recognise hunger vs thirst, so if I feel a craving coming on or I think I am hungry, I'll have a glass of water or a cup of tea, if that does not help I recognise I'll need to eat something.

I think the trick is to find out what makes YOU keep full for longer, for me it is high protein and lowish carbs with plenty of fat, you might find something completely different works for you. Experiment is my advice, try different approaches till you find one that works for you.