Poor Posture & Belly Fat

Options
I was reading something some time ago about poor posture being correlated to belly fat. Is this true? Or another diet/weight myth?

I have pretty bad posture myself and I always slouching when I sit and when I walk, and yes, most of my fat is around my belly. I will say when I actually sit or stand up straight it does make me look smaller in the middle than when I sit or stand slumped or slouched.

But besides making you look smaller than you are short term if you are standing or sitting straight, would correcting ones posture actually help in reducing belly fat, since you are kind of strengthening muscles that you don't use that often?

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    A correlation does not mean causation. Better posture helps with the appearance of your stomach as you are stretching things out, but you won't lose more belly fat is you have better posture. Many people who develop better posture also may be doing weight lifting which also helps with fat loss. So, no, you won't lose belly fat by getting better posture - the only way that will happen is through your diet and building of muscle all over. And if you, like me, are prone to gaining weight in your stomach before other places, it will also be the last place you lose it.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Poor posture and a belly pooch are related, but not belly fat. When your psoas are too tight, it can cause a swayback, which makes your belly appear rounder and larger (and puts serious strain on your lower back). If you're a cardio bunny or sedentary, lifting and flexibility training should help solve posture problems. Losing the fat still needs a calorie deficit. Google "beginner hip openers" to find better explanations than I could give to get you started.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yep, strength training could help. Taking dance classes wouldn't be a bad idea either.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Fat goes where genetics tells it to. However standing up with good posture and strengthening your core is going to help you look and feel better. Yoga has really helped my posture and be more aware of when I am slouching.