Advice for a lady trying to get that muscular look!

Options
A little background, I was a little obsessed with my weight in my teenage years, and my lowest adult weight was around 112 when I turned 20 (I am 5'5). Due to birth control, having a husband who was away a lot with the Navy (emotional eating) and just poor nutrition, I ballooned up to 142. Now, I am at 128.8 and would love to lose another couple pounds, but my main goal is to change the way my body looks!

I have no desire to be as skinny as I was at my lowest, I looked gaunt! Around 123-124 would be fine for me, but what I really want is to look TONED! Weight loss is very secondary to fat loss for me at this point. I would love some advice on how to get a more "shredded" look- I took my measurements for the first time in years today, and it was a wake up call that even though I've lost some pounds, I really have been slacking on changing my body composition.

Any advice or motivation would be welcome! I just got the 30 day shred and did Day 1 yesterday- I'm hoping a month of this at least jump starts the "getting fit" process- I may not be very big, but boy, am I out of shape!

Help!

Replies

• fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, eat at a slight deficit and watch your body change.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice to lift weights...that's where I'm at. At goal weight, but not goal body type. The key:

Weights
    Weights
    and Weights....

PS JM's six pack in six weeks is SOOO much better than 30 DS IMHO.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options

QFT.

To add: be disciplined and patient. Very, very patient.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of advice to lift weights...that's where I'm at. At goal weight, but not goal body type. The key:

Weights
    Weights
    and Weights....

PS JM's six pack in six weeks is SOOO much better than 30 DS IMHO.

I have the Six Pack in Six Weeks as my next "to buy" :)
  • mrsriisky
    Options

I was actually wondering how much of a deficit I should be at. MFP has me at 1200- is that enough to build some muscle while losing inches?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

And this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 <
    Great info in there on figuring out how much you should be eating for fat loss. Best move I ever made was reading (and re-reading!) that topic and setting my goals according to the info. Been over a year and I've had my best success at losing the fat.
  • gonzalez6829
    Options
    Funny but your exactly the same as me. The difference is I was a smoker. I quit Feb 2012 and gained weight. I went from 110 to 136. I am currently at 131. Again like yourself I dont want to be that skinny. I have 3 kids now. I am leaning towards about 122. But more importantly I want to be toned with some muscle. I did start with 30 day squat challenge. Remind squat work many areas in your body so it was a big help. I now have added weights to my squats. I run 40 minutes. I only work out every other day. Whats become most challenging is not looking at a scale because weight doesnt matter. Its the inches that does along with muscle mass. Keep that in mind to avoid frustrating yourself. My ultimate goal is to have a six pack!! :smile:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    IN, for Navy Wives gaining muscle! :)

Friend me, if you'd like!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

I was actually wondering how much of a deficit I should be at. MFP has me at 1200- is that enough to build some muscle while losing inches?

You need to raise your calorie intake...try going up 100 calories/week for the next two weeks.

I'm at 1800 and still manage to either maintain or lose 0.5 lbs/week.
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    Funny but your exactly the same as me. The difference is I was a smoker. I quit Feb 2012 and gained weight. I went from 110 to 136. I am currently at 131. Again like yourself I dont want to be that skinny. I have 3 kids now. I am leaning towards about 122. But more importantly I want to be toned with some muscle. I did start with 30 day squat challenge. Remind squat work many areas in your body so it was a big help. I now have added weights to my squats. I run 40 minutes. I only work out every other day. Whats become most challenging is not looking at a scale because weight doesnt matter. Its the inches that does along with muscle mass. Keep that in mind to avoid frustrating yourself. My ultimate goal is to have a six pack!! :smile:

Unfortunately, I am a smoker that hasn't quit yet- that is one thing that I need to get to as well. I'm scared that I will gain all the weight I've already lost back!
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

And this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 <
    Great info in there on figuring out how much you should be eating for fat loss. Best move I ever made was reading (and re-reading!) that topic and setting my goals according to the info. Been over a year and I've had my best success at losing the fat.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to be directed towards- I think it's sometimes difficult to get out of the mentality that the less you eat, the smaller you will be.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is a good place to start if you're really out of shape, but to gain muscle, you'll want to graduate to barbell type strength training.

When I first started on here, I did EA Sports Active 2 with 5 pound dumbbells (pretty much the same sort of thing as 30DS, but in a game format), and that kicked the poop out of me. Now, I bench press ~90 pounds, squat 135, overhead press 70. I couldn't have done that when I first started, but I wish I progressed to weight lifting sooner than I did.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    ^^ One of my inspirations right there - read Lorina's stuff! :bigsmile:
    Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to be directed towards- I think it's sometimes difficult to get out of the mentality that the less you eat, the smaller you will be.
    Yeah, you may get smaller eating less, but you'll be smaller and still soft and squishy. And tired, and hungry, possibly grouchy....food is fuel, and weights build and/or maintain muscle, which is firm, and fit, and sounds like the body you're going for.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

No, that's probably a pretty extreme deficit for someone so close to goal weight. Try calculating your TDEE minus 10 or 15%. This thread has some advice on how to do that:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Basically, you need to figure out your approximate body fat %, then you can determine how many calories a day you are expending and calculate a modest deficit.

Other advice:

1) try to eat at least 1 gram of protein per day for every pound of lean body mass (when you figure out your body fat % you'll have this number)
    2) by "lift weights" we mean use a barbell, starting with the bar and adding weight when you can easily do five reps without failure.
    3) Concentrate on compound lifts that target large muscle groups, like squats, deadlifts, bench press. These will get you much quicker results than doing a gazillion low weight bicep curls a day.
    4) If you're finding that you want to build more muscle once you've brought your body fat % down, you may need to eat at a surplus for a bit.
    5) Expect a temporary weight gain as your muscles fill with fluid and repair themselves. Don't panic, it's temporary.
  • MichaelFLenz
    Options
    I followed a "mens" plan, the goals of which were a 7,000 weekly deficit while training for 25K runs AND muscling up and I'd never looked as good before, (that was my 40th year!) nor have I, after.

The "magic" of the plan, in my opinion and experience, (in addtion to the crazy amount of excercise, portion controls and "timed snacking", so I NEVER actually got hungry) were 3 protein shakes/day, (made with water) amino acid and creatinine supplements!

Good luck.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Lift them heavy.

Prioritize protein every day. Aim for 30% of your intake, 1 gram per lb. of lean body mass, or 1 gram per pound overall. You can't go too high unless you have an existing kidney problem.

Muscles like carbs. Get plenty of those after lifting (and some before too).

Do not expect much or any muscle growth if you are in a deficit. Use a very conservative deficit if you must.

Many have had good luck recomposing with some form of intermittent fasting and calorie/nutrient cycling. Check out leangains for some good guidelines on how to do that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Set your goal loss to a half pound a week and do NOT chose "sedentary".

Eat 100g of protein a day.
  • mrsriisky
    Options
    Thanks guys! After checking out some of the calculators you all were kind enough to recommend, I definitely need to up my goal from 1200! Does anyone know how I can change my goal on MFP?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! After checking out some of the calculators you all were kind enough to recommend, I definitely need to up my goal from 1200! Does anyone know how I can change my goal on MFP?

Settings -> Diet/Fitness profile
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Settings -> Diet/Fitness profile

Nope. To change your specific calories and macros you go go to the Goals tab and then choose to change them manually and you can punch in any calorie goal you want and you can change all your macros too.

A couple additional tips if you are going to start lifing. You need protein. I would suggest around 30% of your macros and you definitely need more calories then 1200. More like 1800-2000 on lifing days and less on non lifting days. Do not lift consecutive days. Your body needs a day off between sessions. Good luck!