When will the intuitive eating kick in?

Options
jokoh92
jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been back on strong for about a year now. Had some slip ups along the way but for the most part, I have been consistent but I feel like I could not eat normally or proportionately without MFP or a food journal. Even though I know people log on here for many years, I want to be able to eat without having to log sometimes.

Like for instance, I am going on a trip tomorrow and I know there won't really be anything I normally eat around because I will be visiting someone. And on trips with friends, its harder to stay the course (but I will try). But I really want to be able to eat like them but just in smaller portions but its so friggin hard to do that.

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    For me, never. I have finally accepted that if I want to keep the weight off this time, I am going to have to weigh and log my food every day for the rest of my life. I'm simply not wired to eat intuitively. Obviously, weighing isn't possible in all circumstances, but logging is. I don't know if that is you or not.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to do that too, but I have a long way to go before I hit maintenance. I went to the beach for 3 days last week and had actually lost weight when I got home, but I did bank calories before I left. I'm trying to pay more attention to the size of the portions I weigh out at home instead of just looking at the grams and logging them (if that makes sense). Do the best you can, then weigh yourself when you get back (I'd allow a little leeway for water gain from higher sodium foods). I think this little trip will be a good trial period for you and unless you just go crazy, you won't set yourself back too far.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy yourself and spending time with friends!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to pay more attention to the size of the portions I weigh out at home instead of just looking at the grams and logging them (if that makes sense).

That is a great idea. I think I will start playing a game and try guessing how many grams of the food I have and then scale it to see how close I can come. Right now I pretty much suck at eye balling most foods. I plan on using a scale for life but it would be handy for eating away from home.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Oh man, it's been a good solid year and I can't get away with intuitive eating at all. Well, I kind of can maintain a bit if I'm not logging, but not really. If I'm in a food routine it's easier. Like, I have the same breakfast most days and I know those calories and roughly what that leaves me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You could visualize portions like diabetics are taught.

http://www.healthedco.co.uk/index.php/visualize-your-portion-size-display.html

Restaurant meals are typically twice what you need. Eat half.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is a big thing with me. I'm learning to eat without the logging and it's tough. I still weigh everything, but I write it down and log it the next day. I've been finding that I undereat more than overeat. I think it's because I know I'm not logging and don't want to exceed the calories. The whole "Calories!" thing is so stuck in my head, you know?

I will not log for life. I don't enjoy the weighing, post-its and logging. I don't even want to do it for life. I want to learn to eat!

It's a process! This week, I'm going two days without logging for the first time. The plan is to extend these periods, see how I do, and adjust. I was going to wait until I was good with one day, but I don't think that will happen. I think I need to stretch these periods out longer. It's really tough for me, getting off the logging. But flying without a net...not sure I'm ready for that yet!

Most of the world can eat without a scale and a log. Some very dumb people maintain healthy weights without weighing food and logging. I can do it, too. I don't know how long it will take, but I'll get there. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm going to have to log for a long time in maintenance. I literally have to re-learn how to eat for my 130 pound self, because I can still eat the same amount as my 175 lb self. I've always gained weight slowly, eating just above my maintenance level for years. I am comfortable eating 2000-2200 and housing at least 3000 on a Saturday, but I simply cannot do that now and maintain my weight. That's okay. I realized the other day that it really is a learning process and I'm in it for the long haul.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will ever kick in naturally. You have to apply yourself. You have to practice restraint.

But some useful rules of thumb are:

1. don't ever eat til you are full. Always leave the table feeling just satisfied. Never leave the table still hungry.
    2. Don't snack unless its a long time between meals and you actually get hungry. then make sure its not something that you find it hard to stop. So hence fruit is best.

You can learn to recognise that satisfied feeling if you don't eat in a hurry.
    Eating smaller courses helps you recognise when you are satisfied or whether you need to eat more because after each plate you have a moment to ask yourself whether you are satisfied, full or still hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me? Never. Because I could eat high calorie low satiety foods all day and still be hungry. Intuitive eating doesn't work for people who just tend to flavor high calorie foods.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to pay more attention to the size of the portions I weigh out at home instead of just looking at the grams and logging them (if that makes sense).

That is a great idea. I think I will start playing a game and try guessing how many grams of the food I have and then scale it to see how close I can come. Right now I pretty much suck at eye balling most foods. I plan on using a scale for life but it would be handy for eating away from home.

I think this is a great idea. When you weigh out your portions, really take a good look at it and "memorize" it. When you measure out your dinner and put it on the plate, really take some time to let what a full meal looks like on a plate register. And then test yourself by eyeballing something and then weighing it to see how close you were. I think for some, truly intuitive eating may never be possible, but the closer you can get, the less off track you will get when you aren't logging.
  • jokoh92
    jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Taking in what everyone has said, I guess I will just have to plan ahead as much as possible and at least write down everything I eat and portion control. I think for the most part, I will just go to the grocery store there and pick up a few things to eat. I just don't trust myself yet to eat what they eat.

One good thing about the the place I am going is they have a Save-A-Lot where I can buy a bunch of bananas, grapes, cucumbers, and watermelon for dirt cheap. Like I spent less than $4 on a bunch of fruit yesterday shopping there. And granted its summer time and you can probably get fruit and veggies cheap anywhere but it seems like when I go to Whole Food Stores or even Walmart, when i buy fruit and veggies, it comes up to almost $10-15.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    This is a big thing with me. I'm learning to eat without the logging and it's tough. I still weigh everything, but I write it down and log it the next day. I've been finding that I undereat more than overeat. I think it's because I know I'm not logging and don't want to exceed the calories. The whole "Calories!" thing is so stuck in my head, you know?

I will not log for life. I don't enjoy the weighing, post-its and logging. I don't even want to do it for life. I want to learn to eat!

It's a process! This week, I'm going two days without logging for the first time. The plan is to extend these periods, see how I do, and adjust. I was going to wait until I was good with one day, but I don't think that will happen. I think I need to stretch these periods out longer. It's really tough for me, getting off the logging. But flying without a net...not sure I'm ready for that yet!

Most of the world can eat without a scale and a log. Some very dumb people maintain healthy weights without weighing food and logging. I can do it, too. I don't know how long it will take, but I'll get there. :)

This is genius, I've never thought about it that way. Excellent idea!!

• kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's been 5 years and this year I've been able to eat pretty much without so much thought.. But I'm very active also.. I've spent the years working up to a great metabolism.. I burn at least 500 cals a day, it's rare when I don't. And when you've been at it as long as I have, you calculate everything in your head.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We just need to learn to eat normal .....yes normal.... stop over eating as we have been doing and come a custom to