Craving sweets

Options
Hello everyone,

A little over a year ago, I was doing really well. My nutrition was great. I was exercising every day. Now I'm trying to get back into it. I'm ok when it comes to exercising, but I just can't get back to the same nutrition as I did before. My number one problem is that I crave sweets. I really don't eat bad foods, but starting after lunch, I just start loading up on sweets. Seems like I just can't get enough.

I have 2 kids, so I don't want to deprive them of foods they like, but I keep eating their sweet snacks. What can I do to suppress my cravings for sweets? I tried eating more fruits and that doesn't help. After I eat fruit, I still want more sugary snacks.

Please advise.

Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Have some sweets in moderation.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation, don't eat their snacks, find your own that fit better into your calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eat some fruit...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We can't teach you moderation unfortunately. It has to come from you.

I don't really eat my kids snack though, because they're not always satisfying to me for the calories. I eat a bunch of flavored yogurts though, some ice cream, a cookie here and there, a piece of chocolate... just got to look at the big picture, which is that I really don't want to gain weight.

You just have to want it enough.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    dates are really sweet and really good also i find they keep me full
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eat lunch/food that has high fat content. That way u should have better satiety and less cravings
    The only way I can stop craving sugar is to cut it out completley.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My miracle sweet food: Yoplait Greek 100 whips. They're SO GOOD. They have a texture like mousse, and come in a variety of flavors (I personally like the lemon meringue the best). They've become my go-to when I want something sweet. They're low calorie, have some nutritional value, and genuinely taste freaking delicious.

I also keep a bag of individually-wrapped Dove dark chocolate squares in the house. That typically does the trick if I want something other than the Yoplait whips. One square is like 40 calories, so it's easy to fit into your day.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had an insatiable sweet tooth and the only way I could get any control of it was to learn mindful eating, this stopped the physical, biological and mental/emotional cravings. Doesnt mean I have to cut out sweets completely for the rest of my life though but living without sugar most of the time really doesnt bother me anymore :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

A little over a year ago, I was doing really well. My nutrition was great. I was exercising every day. Now I'm trying to get back into it. I'm ok when it comes to exercising, but I just can't get back to the same nutrition as I did before. My number one problem is that I crave sweets. I really don't eat bad foods, but starting after lunch, I just start loading up on sweets. Seems like I just can't get enough.

I have 2 kids, so I don't want to deprive them of foods they like, but I keep eating their sweet snacks. What can I do to suppress my cravings for sweets? I tried eating more fruits and that doesn't help. After I eat fruit, I still want more sugary snacks.

Please advise.

Thanks

If you are in an out of control cycle with sweets, refocus your diet on proteins & fats that have a much longer period of satiety after eating than carbohydrates. For me, it helps to eat all proteins/fats for breakfast and lunch using nuts and cheese for snacks that hold hunger at bay longer and increase my willpower to avoid sweets.
  • alittleglitter
    alittleglitter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always crave something sweet after dinner and my go to recipe is about 1 tbsp (15g) of dark choc chips which I melt in the microwave, then add about a teaspoon (or tablespoon if I have the macros lol) of peanut butter and 1/2 cup - 1 cup of non fat Greek yogurt. Really yummy and totally satisfies my need for something sweet!
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stop eating crappy sweets like the stuff your kids snack on and get yourself some adult sweets. Godiva chocolate? A local gourmet candy shop ? Just get something truly decadent. Something you will savor. You're craving more sweets because you never satisfy your initial craving. If your going to eat something sweet, make it the real deal, enjoy it and don't eat it in excess.
  • yardprincess
    yardprincess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound weird but you could/should try drinking a LARGE glass of water BEFORE you eat any of the sweets. Then wait just a few minutes (even 30 seconds is enough time), if you are still in the mood for a sweet little something, then eat it (get your own though - don't eat the kids'), but many times you might find that you no longer want the sweet thing.
    Another tip is distract yourself with something else: go outside, read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, write/text someone, do a craft or skill, etc, etc.
    Good luck to you!!
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I find keeping a record of how I'm feeling when I crave sweets helpful in identifying why I want the sweets. Is it because you feel tired and want a boost? Are you bored or stressed? Knowing why you are craving sweets will help you work out if there's an underlying issue that needs to be resolved. Like some of the other posters, I have found that snacks that have a high protein/fat content can often curb my cravings for sugar. Hope these suggestions are helpful.
  • louise13dunstan
    Options
    I love this as a weekend treat or if I crave sweetness
    Melt 1 lindt 90% square dark choc. Get some xtra thick cream (sainsburys worka best and if u get the jersey xtra thick just pop a tiny bit double cream in to losen it) and swirl it in the cream (add some cut up strawberries or berries if u want) drizzle choc on top and pop in fridge.its like a mouse consistency but when u crack the choc on top it similar to vienetta.
    Got a good fat content and the dark choc should keep u satisfied.
    Or good old clotted cream and berries.
    It really hits the spot.

Since I gave up carbs (I have less than 20g a day), I find I dont crave Sweets any more and if I do a good shot of cream hits the spot
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit, fruit, fruit,

When you cut the sweets out and the fruit doesn't have to compete with them, it starts to taste a lot sweeter. And it's a pure, fresh, bold sweetness. It's really very yummy.

If you decide to get your kids eating fruit and saving sweets for special occasions, it won't make you a bad mom. Promise!
  • louise13dunstan
    Options
    I agree Fruit is far better than Sweets but still be aware of the sugar (albeit natural). Sugars in Fruit can also make insulin levels spike.
    Go for the lowest in sugar (ie cut anything tropical like pineapple)
    X
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You cannot fight your sweet urges by eating other sweet stuff, same way you can't deal with heavy alcohol consumption by going from straight vodka to light beer.

Your issue is discipline and you'll have to face the music and deal with it.
    Start will pre-logging all the sweet stuff you ate the night before and try to gradually control the quantities/calories. It'll take a while. Best of luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ebbingfat wrote: »
    My miracle sweet food: Yoplait Greek 100 whips. They're SO GOOD. They have a texture like mousse, and come in a variety of flavors (I personally like the lemon meringue the best). They've become my go-to when I want something sweet. They're low calorie, have some nutritional value, and genuinely taste freaking delicious.

Pro tip - try dipping some berries in it.