Building core muscles?

Options
I had 5 major abdominal surgeries within 2 weeks. (2 years ago) Since then I have never gotten strength back. I can't do push-ups, can't hold a plank at all. I can't even "suck it in" for more than a few seconds at a time. How do I strengthen my abdominal muscles? I don't even know where to start.

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Easy deadlifts

Just a light bar. Do the movement.

They strengthen your core

Make sure you are medically cleared for light lifting

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    First, have you checked with a doctor?

I would try some low-rep bodyweight core work to begin with, simple things like ankle taps, crunches, russian twists (without weight) and lying leg raises. Keep it very easy to begin with, and then when you've gradually built a base, you can start doing some of the other exercises you want to do. And just do what you can - if you can only do 3 of each at first, that's fine. You'll see progress quickly, just keep it up :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I know that 'can only suck it in For a few seconds' feeling.
    Know what I did?
    Every time I got in the car I said belly 'button to spine' and sucked it in. At every light I said it again. After a while I had excellent posture driving the car. That was applied to watching TV too.
    When stood at the checkout- 'bellybutton to spine' , ' ahoulders back' and ' clench those cheeks'. That worked too.
    If you work on basic posture, and try your hardest to engage your muscles when doing movements, you will improve.

Planks, push-ups etc all have easy variations, work on doing them first. My push-ups were done against the wall, then the kitchen counter. I would do them, and squats, while waiting for the microwave to beep. Just a couple of minutes at a time throughout the day I found less intimidating.
    Nerdfitness.com has a good body weight routine that would help you. Start with I set 3 times a week doing the variation that suits you until you can complete the 3 sets 3 times a week, then progress with your variation.

Look at doing a Zumba class, or any other class that is fun but has you engaging your core for natural movements.

Once you have a bit more strength, look at doing a progressive weight routine.

Cheers, h.
  • brittanyarkward
    brittanyarkward Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'll try some of these and see what works best! I was getting really disappointed because most exercises I've found that are supposed to strengthen your core, I just can't do. Not even a little bit. It's hard to strengthen when you physically can't do the exercises.
  • 150FNG
    150FNG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Easy deadlifts

Strongly recommend as well
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Brittany,
    I have been there, honest.
    Take baby steps.
    Stop feeling defeated at the first or tenth hurdle, persevere. Heck it took months for me to do a proper push up.

I lifted gallon milk jugs as a dead lift
    Squats were keeping my back straight, sitting to the toilet, then straight back up.

Silly things I know, but I had to start with something.

Remember every effort you make is a progression. You don't need to be superwoman.

Cheers, h.
  • brittanyarkward
    Options
    Yes I'm all in for the baby steps. I'm standing at my stove holding my belly in as we speak. At least I know I can't get worse! Haha
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Seconding planks - bridges are good too. Or the exercise where you're on hands and knees and you extend opposite arm and leg. At least this is what I did for PT on my core. (I'm not any kind of certified medical person though.)
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can do incline planks. Get into push-up position on the edge of a counter top to start. Once you can do 10 seconds or so, you're on your way. Just add a few seconds every day. Get up to 30 seconds and find a lower platform, like a stairway, or a sturdy chair. You'll be doing normal floor planks in no time.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Easy deadlifts

+1 for this

Compound movements like squats and it's variants, deadlifts, rows etc will build core strength
  • brittanyarkward
    Options
    Sounds like deadlifts are a popular choice. Any tips on doing them without equipment. I don't do gyms and have no equipment at home.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    You Tube search deadlifts

It may be good to open a closet door

Open it so you stand in front to the edge of the door,where you can hold both handles. The skinny part of the door should be facing you, not the front or the back.

Put a chair behind you to catch you if you start to fall

Hold both door knobs and bend your knees slowly squatting down till your butt hits the chair

That will be a squat type motion as your feet are farther from the door edge

I have helped a friend get her strength back after a setback with her multiple sclerosis that way.

For deadlifts you can hold a mop in front of you and do them

If you are really weak maybe the squats holding the door knobs with the chair to catch you will work. It helps to feel safe and the chair is your safety net

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for some beginner pilates and yoga videos. Both of these help strengthen you core and are a great way to ease into it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I would suggest looking for some beginner pilates and yoga videos. Both of these help strengthen you core and are a great way to ease into it.

I would also recommend this. and also the sucking it in. I've heard those called stomach vacuums
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had 5 major abdominal surgeries within 2 weeks. (2 years ago) Since then I have never gotten strength back. I can't do push-ups, can't hold a plank at all. I can't even "suck it in" for more than a few seconds at a time. How do I strengthen my abdominal muscles? I don't even know where to start.

MFP: My god people, f'in deadlifts aren't the answer to all issues. Somebody with the OP's situation should not be jumping into compound lifts like that. Because deadlifts do greatly involve the posterior Core and to a degree the anterior Core (not as much as most would think actually) if one's anterior Core muscles are damaged or underdeveloped they are NOT going to perform the exercises correctly anyway and could risk further injury.

@OP: Somebody asked if you were cleared to exercise and that's a good question. With somebody undergoing those medical procedures I would imagine you went through some Physical Therapy or have access to it? If so where are you at with that and if you're finished did the PT give you suggestions for your next steps.
  • brittanyarkward
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

MFP: My god people, f'in deadlifts aren't the answer to all issues. Somebody with the OP's situation should not be jumping into compound lifts like that. Because deadlifts do greatly involve the posterior Core and to a degree the anterior Core (not as much as most would think actually) if one's anterior Core muscles are damaged or underdeveloped they are NOT going to perform the exercises correctly anyway and could risk further injury.

@OP: Somebody asked if you were cleared to exercise and that's a good question. With somebody undergoing those medical procedures I would imagine you went through some Physical Therapy or have access to it? If so where are you at with that and if you're finished did the PT give you suggestions for your next steps.

Nope. I had very little PT in the hospital just so that I could sit up by myself and walk up steps. Then they shoved me out the door. I never had follow up of any sort other than the actual incision. That's long since healed but I have mesh holding my muscles together. I'm not a check with the doctor type of person since doctors are the reason for the whole situation to begin with. As far as I know I have no restrictions. No one ever told me I did.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I also despise doctors. but would recommend you get cleared by one in this instance. even though its been 2 years, PT might be a better choice and then move on from there.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Nope. I had very little PT in the hospital just so that I could sit up by myself and walk up steps. Then they shoved me out the door. I never had follow up of any sort other than the actual incision. That's long since healed but I have mesh holding my muscles together. I'm not a check with the doctor type of person since doctors are the reason for the whole situation to begin with. As far as I know I have no restrictions. No one ever told me I did.

Okay, I would really find a doctor or a physical therapist at least and get a higher level of medical experience to provide next steps. If you had gone through some post-surgical PT and been released to exercise, then we could discuss some generalized next-steps. In your situations, you should find a doctor or PT to consult with. They might tell you you're cleared for exercise, but you need somebody to give you a proper evaluation.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I can't even "suck it in" for more than a few seconds at a time. How do I strengthen my abdominal muscles? I don't even know where to start.

Start with contracting your abs all throughout the day (as if bracing for a punch). Develop endurance and conscious control, then worry about strength.

I'm surprised you don't have back pain.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I'm surprised you don't have back pain.

That's really a good point. Weakness in the Transversus Abdominus has been linked to LBP. Cheri's advice is really good for somebody that kind of doesn't know where they stand medically. There is an exercise called the "Drawing-In Maneuver" which is really similar to what he's suggesting; you can YouTube it. :)