Swimming (I need your knowledge)

Options
hi all!
I recently started using this application and also joined a gym. Since I am in the beginning on my journey I am very heavy (still) but I love swimming. I try to do at least 45 minutes as many days as possible. This week for example I managed to go 7 days on a row. My question is , is it ok or should I be changing kind/type of exercise in between?
Any tips how I can do this more efficient ? I swim breaststroke style it's the only I can actually

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you can be consistent with is great! Well done you.

Carry on with your swimming. When you are ready start challenging yourself with different strokes ( I am a poor swimmer and backstroke is my fav), and lap speeds.
    As you like water, see if you can find an aqua fit class. It will complement your swimming, but because of the greater variation in motion, will help with mobility, flexibility, and balance.

Right now, just swimming is fine.

Cheers, h.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I swim 3 x a week and I do breast stroke only (shoulder issues prevent me from getting the correct rotation for either the forward or backward crawl). I would say challenge yourself to go faster or further so you are progressively strengthening your muscles. The beauty of swimming is that it is both cardio and strengthening and it works most of the major muscle groups.

Perhaps switch things up a little by doing some deep water jogging or take a water aerobics class if some are offered.
  • rsekouris
    rsekouris Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes in the gym I go the do Aqua gym and Aqua Zumba too and I attend the classes when it matches my work schedule... But for summer they have stopped them now so this week that passed till end of August there will be none of them just swimming...
    My concern was not to bore my body with the same repetition and I don't know burn less maybe ? That's why I am asking
    Thank you for the reply ☺️
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are sore, try exercising another part of your body for a day. Otherwise if your body feels good keep swimming.
  • rsekouris
    Options
    Yes I try to make more laps in the same time, so from day one to now 1,5 month later I can do more laps in same time length, that means I am getting a tiny bit faster. Also I try to do some laps with crawl but my breathing is just terrible hehehe and I cannot synchronize my hands and feet it seems :P well I will keep trying and challenging my self to make me better and better :)
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try swimplan.com if you want to try mixing things up. It's free and it will give you personalized workouts that you can try for a little variety. Enjoy!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Since you love to swim and you're spending a good amount of time in the water I would recommend that you consider taking an adult learn to swim class. Swimming is one of the most technique-intensive activities out there so it's a really good idea to get some basic instruction. A few corrections in your stroke can translate to swimming much better (faster, more efficiently, less risk of injury) and elevate your enjoyment of the sport. The cool thing about a technique-intensive activity (think golf or bowling) is that you don't need to be a ripped athlete to excel at it. I have seen plenty of people with six packs swim like a concrete block and others who at first glance don't seem to have an athletic bone in their body effortlessly squirt through the water. Once you have had some basic instruction there are lots of good Youtube resources to help you visualize what goes on underwater etc. but I'd start first with some hands-on instruction.

The other thing that I would recommend is getting a nice set of goggles. Nothing more frustrating than continuously having to readjust leaky and fogged up goggles. My favorites are made by Aqua Sphere (Kaiman and Kayenne models). They cost $15-20 but are extremely comfortable and will last you a long time if you take care of them and they are available in women's models. I usually pick them up at swimoutlet.com.
  • rsekouris
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanx for the advices! Yes I agree with goggles I got some but they were ughhhh so I decided I am better off them. I will try to get better ones , definitely checking the site you send :)
    And yes I am interested to learn more techniques so I am trying to check people around me how they do them to get an idea, will study the videos too

Also thanx langababy will check swim plan too