Exercise induced anxiety and running

Options
So as in the title, I have exercise induced anxiety. To begin with I couldn't even workout at home but I've kept going and have recently made so much improvement I have started running outside. I've been at it about 3 weeks and run 3-4 times weekly. I do it at the quietest times of the day in the quietest part of a large park I live near. I am making huge progress and now have a solid 3.5 mile regular route so I can track progress and make improvements.

I wear a heart rate monitor whilst running and aim for the 150-160 zone which is fine until the anxiety kicks in. Today I managed to run through the spots where my anxiety always kicks into high gear but I wonder if I'm pushing too hard, it makes about 50% of my run in the high 170s to 180s and I just wonder if this is counter productive and I should revert back to walking my heart rate back down once it spikes? The running itself, whilst expectedly slow due to being a newb, is at an easy pace, my legs cope just fine, it's getting my breath that's the issue.

I'm not new to fitness (have a gymnastics and dance background) but I am new to running and the anxiety wasn't something that affected me before the last couple of years so I'm very much learning new strategies. I don't want the anxiety dictating what I can do and the progress I make but I equally don't want to be too gung ho about it all!

Replies

• alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Exercise is the best option to reduce the weight. But lots of people don't have time for exercise so you can try Diet Pills . I got best results as per my expectations.

Thanks,
    Christina

Why would you recommend diet pills especially to someone with anxiety? As far as I know, most diet pills have stimulant in them which is NOT good for someone with anxiety as it would exacerbate the anxiety. I speak from experience.

• whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Exercise is the best option to reduce the weight. But lots of people don't have time for exercise so you can try Diet Pills . I got best results as per my expectations.

Thanks,
    Christina

Why would you recommend diet pills especially to someone with anxiety? As far as I know, most diet pills have stimulant in them which is NOT good for someone with anxiety as it would exacerbate the anxiety. I speak from experience.

Totally agree. I suffer from panic attacks and I tried ketones and it brought on a attack so stay away from pills it's not worth putting yourself through it Breathing is very important when I exercise
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's just spam. I would never go near any pills that allege to help weight loss. Happy doing it the old fashioned way!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    hey there, i also have a background of dance and gymnastics up until my early 20's :)

i also have an anxiety disorder that affects me large amounts of the time. i avoid the gym more than i should because people so i took up running in my local park and at a local lake and im steadily getting better at controlling the anxiety as i see the same people when i go as im also a creature of habit as are many of the regulars.

i revert to walking only if ive allowed my breathing to get out of control, im used to my heart rate sitting over 180, in the early days of it happening ( often happens if im just sat stressing myself out ) the doctors accused me of overdosing on my thyroid meds, when they realised that wasnt the case they ran a few more tests and concluded im not at any risk unless i start to hyperventilate where i am at risk of collapse so ive spent time working of breathing in for 3 foot strikes and out for 3 strikes. concentrating on this also helps me forget that people can see me, bonus!
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's just spam. I would never go near any pills that allege to help weight loss. Happy doing it the old fashioned way!

Yes I realized that after I posted.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    hey there, i also have a background of dance and gymnastics up until my early 20's :)

i also have an anxiety disorder that affects me large amounts of the time. i avoid the gym more than i should because people so i took up running in my local park and at a local lake and im steadily getting better at controlling the anxiety as i see the same people when i go as im also a creature of habit as are many of the regulars.

i revert to walking only if ive allowed my breathing to get out of control, im used to my heart rate sitting over 180, in the early days of it happening ( often happens if im just sat stressing myself out ) the doctors accused me of overdosing on my thyroid meds, when they realised that wasnt the case they ran a few more tests and concluded im not at any risk unless i start to hyperventilate where i am at risk of collapse so ive spent time working of breathing in for 3 foot strikes and out for 3 strikes. concentrating on this also helps me forget that people can see me, bonus!

This is a bit spooky (in how similar we are). I will also never go near a gym because people. When I started running I'd run a different route (no repetition like I have to do now) but it took me past a lot more dog walkers a kids play park, so nope to that, for now at least. So far I have never seen the same person twice but it's a big park in London so not surprising.

And you know, it's less about them seeing me than me seeing them I think. I just like to be alone! I think like you I need to just keep on concentrating on my breathing. I didn't check my heart rate as much on the bits that are bad this time and that helped as I wasn't aware how high it was getting which I think contributes to the panic.

It's such a pain though, I know how well I could do without anxiety getting in the way.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    have you tried counselling? my gp refferred me last moth and i had my assesment last friday, i was declared not to be a danger to myself or the public lol

they will be helping me with techniques to try and calm the anxiety and help me form friendships (i dont have any and told him i dont want any cos people suck )

the only reason i agreed to it is because i hate the feeling i get with it, the high heart rate, the palpitations, dizziness, going hot and sweaty and feeling like i need to away immediatly, its exausting isnt it
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I had a breakdown a couple of years ago, have been given multiple diagnoses and have been discharged from the psychiatrist back to my GP, which will be it unless I have another crisis. I'm on the waiting list for psychotherapy but that could happen sometime never. I've mostly been self treating and have come a long way. And there's a lot I will probably just have to learn to live with. This whole exercising and losing weight is part of my self care efforts.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    VintageFeline,

Let me just start by saying it's refreshing to see you openly state the issue, and overcoming that stigma of your anxiety is probably good on many levels including your recovery and learning to cope with it. Also refreshing to see others openly state such things and giving helpful information.

My suggestion would be to approach your exercise and anxiety as two different things, and combine them only when it is a positive things towards one or the other, but at no time let it be a detriment to either. What I mean by this is simply that if your anxiety is slowing your exercise, go ahead and exercise inside, or find those quiet hours you mentioned to do it outside. If, and only if IMO, going outside to exercise actually helps you cope with your anxiety, then by all means do it. I'm assuming you may know what a WRAP plan is..... if not let me know. Assuming you do know, figure out if exercising outside is a trigger or a coping mechanism/activity that calms you.

The exercise being part of self care is a great move. Your mental state is always somewhat driven by your physical state, both short and long term. If you've made that decision without medical help or guidance, you're doing some things right on your own.

A few years back I had a toxic mix of anxiety triggered by multiple high stress situations, leading to some depression issues, and though not figured out for quite some time topped off by some PTSD issues. I had found myself suddenly in a very dark place, and honestly felt at one point that things weren't likely going to get any better. With some professional help, things are now much, much, much better. I now view life in a different light daily, and have a better understanding of what many others have been through.

During that period, I found exercise helped with some of the excess energy and helped clear my mind. Being somewhat anxious and anti social at the time, I chose to ride a bike mostly, as it was easy to just pass people by and not feel obligated to engage them in any way other than maybe a nod of the head. I also often used earplugs connected to my phone as if I was listening to music. That gave me an excuse to ignore anything said to me if I didn't want to respond.

But most important, don't lose hope. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and the tunnel does have an end. Based on your photos you've made a lot of physical progress, and if overcoming some anxiety issues was needed to do that, then overall I'd say you are doing much better than you give yourself credit for.