Brown Rice vs White Rice

2»

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Ah, the age old debate. I have provided this link before as it's a good read. The author links to an article further down from Alan Aragon on the matter that's quite interesting too.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Ah, the age old debate. I have provided this link before as it's a good read. The author links to an article further down from Alan Aragon on the matter that's quite interesting too.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/

Love this article, lol. Pretty much where I stand too.

Might be because I haven't found any 'awesome tasting' brown rice though (and I suck at cooking rice as a whole, so I stick to the 'boil in a bag' kind, and the Basmati white rice that comes that way is actually pretty good).
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Brown rice tastes like white rice that has been dragged 100 miles through the dirt in an old, wet burlap bag. The texture is also horrid. I don't know anyone who could possibly like it "more" than white rice unless they have been brainwashed to believe so.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Brown rice tastes like white rice that has been dragged 100 miles through the dirt in an old, wet burlap bag. The texture is also horrid. I don't know anyone who could possibly like it "more" than white rice unless they have been brainwashed to believe so.
    heh
    I'm with you on this one.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    I assume we are talking cooked!

For taste - White rice
    For FIbre - Brown Rice
    For nutrients - probably very similar, maybe white rice pips it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    chatnel wrote: »
    I thought brown had more fibre and protein and lower GI than white?

White vs brown is like 1g of fibre. IIRC, white has 1g or 2g of fiber (brand dependent) and brown is a gram above that. Personally, 3g of fiber (less than most breads these days) is negligible.

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member

I imagine it's because different people have different tastes. I think most varieties of mushrooms are repellent in almost any context, but many people love them.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I prefer brown to white. I didn't always. Grew up with white rice and my own taste preferences seem to be affected a great deal by what I'm used to. Started making brown rice about ten years ago because I heard that it's healthier. I got used to the taste and gradually came to prefer it. I wasn't brainwashed and if I thought about it very long I might resent the implication that I was.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Started making brown rice about ten years ago because I heard that it's healthier.
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I wasn't brainwashed

Contradiction there. :)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Message deleted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

White vs brown is like 1g of fibre. IIRC, white has 1g or 2g of fiber (brand dependent) and brown is a gram above that. Personally, 3g of fiber (less than most breads these days) is negligible.

Especially if you eat it with lots of vegetables, as I would.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Whatever you prefer. I like all types, brown, red, purple, black, white. But certain varieties clearly suit different dishes. Do not put brown rice in sushi, for example.

I will say that the whole grain rices seem to be difficult to cook correctly than white. I prefer my rice on the firm side, and whole grain rices seem to go from hard to overdone in no time. When I do get it in a restaurant it's almost always over - and not just over for my tastes, but really mushy.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    White rice 7 days a week here :*

Can't stand brown rice
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    just remember to portion control rice can be a calorie bomb
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Honestly, black rice. Whenever I come across black rice at a thai place I get excited.

Day to day, which rice wins. Basmati. Brown rice is mushy and gross to me.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member

bah why have I been wasting my time with brown, I much prefer the taste of white ricec
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    and white cooks in half the time :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

bah why have I been wasting my time with brown, I much prefer the taste of white ricec

Probably because you fell for the same crap we all did......