pregnancy diet

Options
So my new husband and I have been married for about a month and eventually the time will come to have a family so what are some some advice on what I can eat and drink when the time comes?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    daily multivitamin - for starters.

with folic acid
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    daily multivitamin - for starters.

with folic acid

And start the folic acid before getting pregnant.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    So my new husband and I have been married for about a month and eventually the time will come to have a family so what are some some advice on what I can eat and drink when the time comes?

Eat what you normally would (which is hopefully a nutritionally balanced diet), minus the things your doctor says you shouldn't be eating.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Use common sense. Well-balanced, lean protein, fruits vegetables, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, occasional treats. Cut down on caffeine, if you are currently a coffee drinker, no alcohol........ You know the drill. Any questions about foods to avoid, check with your doctor. (Limit fish per week that may be mercury tainted, no unpasteurized cheeses, etc.) I
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Second the Folic acid supplement before trying.

You can plan what to eat as much as you want but when the time comes, it may or may not happen. When I was pregnant, I was so sick there were only a few foods I could tolerate. Once that passed, my taste in food changed a lot. Things I hated before I loved, things I loved I didn't care for.

Aim for a balanced diet and do the best you can.

As for what to avoid, different doctors have different opinions. My own doctor didn't recommend avoiding anything other than fish with too much mercury. Others suggest avoiding deli meats, sushi, raw egg yolk, etc.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Talk with your midwife &/or dietitian (or doctor, if you're a high-risk pregnancy).
    But yes, folic acid is important waaay before you even think you might possibly be getting pregnant, because the
    neural tube is one of the first things to form in the fetus, and by the time you know you're pregnant, it's too late.

Remember that "eating for two" isn't true. You only need a very small calorie increase until the last few months,
    at which point the fetus is putting on lots of weight, growing to birth size, and you're starting to produce milk.
    Even at that point, IIRC it's only an extra 300 cal or so.

Eat normally, just a little bit more, and paying better attention to nutrition & protein.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Folic acid for a few months before starting to try.
    Your local government health service should have a list of guidelines for recommended foods and general food safety (e.g. safe temperatures, no deli foods etc) For example: https://www.thewomens.org.au/health-information/pregnancy-and-birth/a-healthy-pregnancy/food-nutrition-in-pregnancy/

Try to balance self-care and eating what you can tolerate with not going nuts with 'eating for two' because the calorie increase required actually isn't that drastic.
  • christyj0725
    christyj0725 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I already have the prenatal vitamins with folic acid in it and been taking it for over a week.
  • christyj0725
    christyj0725 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well I've been taking my prenatal vitamins for a while now and since my wedding and honeymoon in July I've lost 20lbs and back in the 120s!!!!