Strategies for weight maintenance

After losing 7.5 stone (105 pounds) I really now struggle with what next? How often does everyone exercise and do you have some diet on days and off days ? I still struggle allowing myself a 'treat'

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Did you read the stickies at the top of this forum? Like this one?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1422943/long-time-maintainers-how-do-you-do-it/p1
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    @nicolafuller1982 - first of all, congratulation with your progress! Great achievement!

I did not change ANYTHING when transitioned to maintenance, except a bump in calories.

I've lost weight before, but then found it again because I "dieted" to lose weight. After finally realizing that this is not a diet and I cant and will not go back to "eating as before" made it real easy for me. Before even beginning this weight loss, I started exercising but not to lose weight - to become fit and weight loss was just a beneficial side effect of that activity. I still log my foods and try to plan gatherings or occasion diners. When I go over my budget, I do extra cardio and eat at light deficit the next few days to get my daily average calories back into rage.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »
    @nicolafuller1982 - first of all, congratulation with your progress! Great achievement!

I did not change ANYTHING when transitioned to maintenance, except a bump in calories.

I've lost weight before, but then found it again because I "dieted" to lose weight. After finally realizing that this is not a diet and I cant and will not go back to "eating as before" made it real easy for me. Before even beginning this weight loss, I started exercising but not to lose weight - to become fit and weight loss was just a beneficial side effect of that activity. I still log my foods and try to plan gatherings or occasion diners. When I go over my budget, I do extra cardio and eat at light deficit the next few days to get my daily average calories back into rage.

All of this. I'm getting close enough to goal that I'm starting to make strategies for maintenance. You've encapsulated the best of everything I've read.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I didn't do anything that I wouldn't continue doing after I lost weight so it was easy...I just got to eat more.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I just kept on doing what I always did when losing, except I get to eat more now :smile:
    I still move the same, in fact, I have got more active. I know exactly how many calories I can eat to maintain and I eat every single one of them...life is good :smiley:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I still try to exercise as much as I did before, but I'm not as bummed if I miss a day. Yesterday, lightning kept me off the bicycle. If was disappointing, but I wasn't upset because I would have to eat less. Normally, I put in about seven hours a week of exercise. I may still reach that this week, even though I'll miss a couple of days, but it'll be a weekend thing.

Having a "treat" is a good thing, as long as you keep it in moderation. I find that there are some things that, once I stick them in my mouth, I want to keep sticking them in my mouth until they are gone. Sweets seem to have that affect on me. Someone suggested that it is better to not have those things in the house and to force yourself to leave the house for a special treat. Even better if you walk or ride a bicycle to the place that sells the treat, I suppose.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Here are some things I do - doesn't mean that you have to do them. I try to do 6-8 hours of exercise a week ( I used to do much more than that). I cycle my calories for a change of pace, so one day I might do the low calorie goal I did when I was losing, and another day I would have my goal set higher to accommodate for that low calorie day. I interact with friends that I have made on here. It is fairly motivating seeing people's activities on a daily basis. I also get involved in a few online competitions.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    I don't do much exercise at all...but I'm careful with what I eat!