Logging fried foods?

I'm having dinner at my Dad's tonight, and he's frying some chicken for dinner. I have plenty of calories left for the day, so I'm not too concerned about it, but I am curious as to how I should log it.
I plan on logging the chicken and the breading, and then the oil as well. I just don't know how much oil I should log. Does anybody know roughly how much oil should be logged for a fried chicken leg?

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    I love fried chicken. I usually log it like I ate at KFC even if I made it at home. I figure theirs most likely has more calories anyway. You could weigh the oil before and after but that's a lot of extra work and you won't know how much ended up in each individual piece.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    I always have this problem! I love homemade fried catfish.. Homemade chicken wings.. But I get so weird about the oil. Especially considering I fry it for my family so even if I weighed the oil it wouldn't be accurate to find what I ate. I guess I could pan fry my food and use the fryer for theirs and then weigh it. Normally I log so many servings of oil and just guess. I try not to eat fried too often and so far guessing has not impacted my weight loss negatively. Have a good dinner!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If it's breaded, I'd add a TBSP. Hard to know, though.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I love fried chicken. I usually log it like I ate at KFC even if I made it at home. I figure theirs most likely has more calories anyway. You could weigh the oil before and after but that's a lot of extra work and you won't know how much ended up in each individual piece.

Probably the best idea if you want to play it on the safe side. I'd have no idea even how to estimate how much oil ends up in a piece.