Any first time runners willing to share training tips?

Options
A friend of mine talked me into running the Color Run with her in September. I have never EVER run a day in my life - except in elementary school when we were forced to! I downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone and plan to start training next week.

Have any of you tried the Couch to 5K app? Do any of you have any tips for overweight runners? I'd like to improve enough to enjoy it since I know this is such a great form of exercise. Thanks :)

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K program!! It is amazing how well it works. In the beginning I thought I would die running just a minute and now I am running for 30 minutes!!! At the end of each week I did not think that I would be able to complete the next week and I did it every single time. I really surprised myself. I think it pushes you just hard enough :) You can also choose to repeat days or weeks, a lot of people do. I started at 235lbs I think so you can definately do it regardless of how overweight you are.

My advice is to run as slow as you can while focusing on breathing. Also good shoes and a good sports bra (or two if you are large chested as I am) Run every other day or some schedule like that (I did Tues/Thurs/Sat) Don't try to do more days or run longer than the program tells you to even when you feel like you can.

Have faith in yourself and you will succeed at this program. I never thought I would and now I am still running after the program is over. Good luck :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Every runner on this forum was a first time runner at some point!

I haven't used the C25K myself but when I started running again a little over 5 years ago I could barely run around the block without thinking death would be better.....my approach was very simple. First I walked, then I added 1 minute of very slow running followed by 9 minutes of walking, the 2 minutes "running" & 8 minutes walking and so on until I could (slowly) run 10 minutes without stopping. I added time/distance very slowly and in Sept 2009 ran my first 5K.

Since then I've gone on to run 10Ks and five half-marathons and am now training for my first marathon next October.

If I can do it anyone can (barring any underlying health problems)

Take your time, be patient. Be consistent, if you plan on running 3 or 4 times per week stick to it.

Get yourself a good pair of running shoes - it's well worthwhile going to a running specialty shop and having them analyze your gait. The right shoe can make a huge difference (don't go to a big box store, they don't train their staff to do this)

You should have a lot of fun with a Color Run. They're not timed, it's all for fun.

I do feel I should warn you.....running is addictive; your body, with the right training and attitude, will amaze you with what you're capable of doing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Take an incremental approach - start with brisk walking, gradually add running in, and don't overdo it. Also, get fitted for a pair of good quality shoes at a local running store. They will assess your arch/stride and give you some pointers as well. Improper shoes will cause joint pain and a variety of other annoyances. Finally, the only way to get better at running is by running!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think the C25K is too strenuous for beginniners.
    I always suggest

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

Good luck ! :-)
  • hbraden23
    hbraden23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! I'm starting this week :)
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Totally in for this. Bump!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Start with small running steps at a faster pace. Work towards a smooth form-with minimal bouncing-glide. Look up the different running styles-like prose running, which is less stressful on knees. Experiment with different foods before you run to. I find I like a small apple before I run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Do a C25K or similar. They are intelligently put together programs that will have you actually running injury free in 6 weeks or so. Definitely do a program...IMHO, best way to do it and stay injury free. When new runners go off on their own without knowing what to do, they often end up will little gain because they're just not training properly...often injured as well.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've just run my first half-marathon this week! Here's what I've learned about running.

1. Running is mental. Get your head in the zone, it'll give up before your legs do.
    2. Running with dogs is excremental - always carry a poo bag.
    3. The more you run, the better you get at running. Who would've guessed!
    4. The way to be a faster runner is to run faster.
    5. Don't worry about anyone else's performance. The only thing you have to beat is the little voice in your head saying you can't do it.
    6. Music is great for keeping up your spirits while you run (and drowning out that persistently negative little voice...)
    7. You don't need to carry water with you for short runs - hydrate well before and after.
    8. Runners are by and large a friendly bunch, don't be afraid to smile and say hi.
    9. Keep a record of each run, and see how quickly you're improving (Map My Run is great, other apps are available)
    10. Be amazed at how wonderful your body is, what its capable of, how it responds to being looked after and well used.

Get out there and have fun!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Like you I had never run a day in my life either but I started the c25k program a couple of months ago now and I'm about halfway through it. I've had to restart wee 5 a couple of times (its a beast) but I can now run 8 minutes without stopping. :)

Definitely go get fitted for good shoes! they make all the difference in the world. Also start slow. and when you think you're running slow, go even slower. I thought I'd be out there running like a gazelle from day one, not so. Speed comes later. I've been doing the whole thing on the treadmill and have recently tried to take it outdoors, wow thats a whole different thing for sure! so start outdoors. I wish I had. Its harder, but ideally you want to run outside in the end anyway so might as well start there.

My biggest advice is don't give up. Its hard. but so rewarding. I struggle with almost every run, I'm at least 50 lbs overweight still, but when I'm done I feel so proud of myself.

Good Luck on your race!
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I'm sure I'll be repeating some of the other tips here, but I figure they bear repeating anyway.

1) Get fitted for decent running shoes. I know it seems like a lot of money, but there are benefits. They can help prevent injury, which is important for beginners. They can also motivate you - knowing you've spent £80+ on a pair of running shoes means you'll be more likely to want to get the use out of them. A cheap £10 pair of trainers from Primark just don't give you the same motivation.

2) Start out slowly. Nope, slower than that. Slower still. If you think you could walk faster than you're running, you're probably at the right pace. A lot of newbies (myself included) start out running faster than they need to. Going too fast can lead to lots of injuries, especially if your body's not used to running.

3) A good sports bra is worth it's weight in gold.

4) C25k programmes are great. Apps, downloadable podcasts, written programmes on the back of your hand - a nice, easy way to ease yourself into running regularly, with a concrete goal at the end to work towards and provide motivation.

5) Log your runs. Being able to see your progress is a big motivator in itself. I started running 4 months ago, and at that time running continuously for 1 minute was a big deal. Last week I completed my longest run yet - over an hour, without stopping. Week-to-week it might not feel like you're progressing much, but over time you'll see massive differences.

6) Keep yourself hydrated. You don't need to take out a water bottle with you on runs less than 45mins-hour, but make sure you're getting water in throughout the day before you run.

7) On a related note, visit the bathroom before you head out. Getting caught short when you're out running is no fun.

8) Last but certainly by no means least - enjoy it and be proud of yourself. Whatever speed you're going at, even if you only manage 1 minute of running in 30 minutes of walking, remember that you're still doing a darn sight more than the millions who are still tucked up in bed or sat on the couch.

Good luck, and have fun!