155 pounds lost: from 300 to 145

Options
applejuices
applejuices Posts: 19 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
Some stats, for the tl;dr crowd before you skip to the pictures... I started January 2013 at 300 pounds (possibly a little more as I had not weighed myself for a long time) and now at 145. I've lost 9 inches on my bust, 13 on my waist, and 17 on my hips. I went from size 24 (a TIGHT 24) to a 6-8. I have a 21 day streak due to phone issues, but prior to 3 weeks ago I was at 800. Womp womp.

So, the story! I have always been overweight, and my BMI has grown throughout the years to the super morbidly obese category. I wasn't that sad and tragic fat girl. I was fairly happy and had awesome friends and a great family. I was never bullied about my weight, and I got very few insults growing up. I had great friends who never mentioned my weight, or their weight, or how much I would eat, or how much I would eat. It's like something people danced around. I always ate too much, and the wrong thing, and genuinely had no concept of nutrition. The idea of calories in, calories out was so foreign to me. I never really tried to lose weight, but the few times I did, I thought it meant I should just not eat. Then I would (obviously) end up eating everything.

After college is when my weight really started to build. I wasn't super happy with myself, was eating way too much, and drinking too much as well. I didn't have a job that helped me to feel fulfilled, and didn't have the build in large group of friends I had had the rest of my life. I gained quite a bit of weight in a year in a half.

I would not be where I am today if it weren't for 2 things: getting a new job in a small town, and a guy named Steve. In the fall of 2012, I moved 4 hours from my hometown to take a new job that I was really excited about. I decided I was going to make a huge change since I had a chance to start over. I did a minimal amount of research, bought all healthy food, and had the best of intentions. I lasted about a week before I went back to buying pizzas and ice cream. My job was hard, the social life in the small town was practically non-existent, and I missed my friends and family. I ended up gaining more weight. I told myself I would eat and live the way I was living until January 1st, 2013. Yeah. I was a resolutioner.

On January 2nd, 2013, I joined myfitnesspal. I read the forums. I was inspired by success stories, and I actually UNDERSTOOD the calories in and calories out. I went shopping again. I bought foods that I liked, along with healthy foods. I weighed out portions. I taught myself how to cook. I indulged when appropriate. I put myself out there and made friends in my new town. My job got easier. Feeling better, eating better, having more self-confidence... it all lead to a better life, which lead to wanting to continue to do better.

Although the first year all I did was eat better, I added in exercise last summer. I was lucky enough to get a job back in my hometown, and moved back to be close to family and old friends. As a kid who was never able to run a quarter mile during the mile fitness test in PE, I never thought I could run. I decided I wanted to run a 5k, which seemed like such a lofty goal last July when I started training. I met a man named Steve who played in a community band I had just joined. I told him how much I was hating running, how boring it is, and how I didn't think I would keep up with it. As someone who had run many big races, he gave me some tips to make it more fun and how to train. I took the tips and started applying them. As a retired engineer, Steve left for the Winter and came back for the summer in May. By the time he came back in May, I had finally done my 5k (in December!) and was running pretty steadily, usually 3 or 4 miles. I told him I wanted to try a 10k, so I started training for that. Once I passed the 6 mile mark, it ended up going really quickly. Steve found a 10k for us, but by then I decided I wanted to try a half marathon. We started running together, and with his help I will absolutely be ready for our September 20th half marathon. This morning I ran 12 miles. 12 miles, you guys. I just want someone to tell my 9th grade gym teacher that I can run 12 miles at less than 10 miles per hour.

I'm not sure what the future will hold. Obviously, there's skin. The lose skin, especially the large amount on my belly, is frustrating and I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's probably not going to tighten up. Most of the skin of my arms has, so I'm still holding out hope. I haven't done as much weight training as I'd like. Once I finish the half, that will be more of my focus. I'm at about 145 now, although I flucuate between 142-147 pretty consistently. I'd like to lose another 10 pounds, but I'm not quite as focused on the number now so much as the measurements and how my clothes fit. I'm really proud of the things my body can do, and the things my mind have done as well!

And now, everyone's favorite... pictures!

Before:

w2ve5b6rr0y7.jpg
Sometime in 2011
4f9r1s08gim5.jpg
Sometime in 2012
6yj5mnfei7tb.jpg
April 2012
mai0f2xachbd.jpg
December 2011

Now (I think all pics are from July):
h9sf9giedklm.jpg
bube1b91h704.jpg
apnnmxddhrcf.jpg

Congrats if you made it through this huge essay! If you're new, if you're not, if you've lost, if you plan to lose, whatever.. feel free to add me. I think I have 20 friends. One day maybe I'll hit 25!

Replies

• eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing change! :)
  • Wordsworth99
    Wordsworth99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is very inspiring! Great job! I really like your dress in the last photo.
  • squishy1224
    squishy1224 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're going to love the feeling of finishing your first half. Congrats all around!
  • loseweightnow100
    loseweightnow100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing journey! You look great.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing transformation!! You look beautiful in before and after pics :) congratulations!!
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well done, you've done a great job.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce lady! Well done!
  • elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Um, you're amazing. Well done you!!
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Amazing, you look amazing!!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look so awesome!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Woah, that transformation is fantastic!

Out of interest, what were the tips Steve gave you to get you into running? :)
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Amazing :) I know your story will inspire soooo many people, just like Steve did for you! Did you ever believe YOU can be someone's inspiration??!! We are all really proud of you <3 Continued success in maintenance and PLEASE keep us posted!!
  • macrose29
    macrose29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow you've done amazing, such a inspiration
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Incredible job, how inspiring!
  • ToshaLyn
    ToshaLyn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow! Way to go! It's so motivational to see people's hard work paying off in the end.
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look so healthy now, I loved reading your story.
  • mary_161
    mary_161 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, simply amazing! Nice work ;)
  • lpatriquin
    lpatriquin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! You look so good, and you story is very inspiring. :)
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Wow!! I'm a runner too, what were the tips Steve gave you?
  • Jessalane0607
    Jessalane0607 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love this! Congrats on the weight loss and the soon to be half marathon. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!