MFPer Sets World Bench Press Record

Options
SaintGiff
SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
Boosting the signal for Iron_Miss_Canada, who set a submasters bench only world record this weekend. I may have twisted her arm enough that she will actually post videos.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my tenth powerlifting competition, the fourth as bench only. 100% Raw federation, 82.5kg weight class, submaster - 35-39 years old. Weighed in the night before at 81.5, easily making weight, and set my opener at 72.5kg.

It was chosen because it had been my opener at APU provincials 7 weeks ago, and even training through like my coach had me do, I knew I could do it easily enough. Warmups went perfectly, everything was feeling fantastic. Set up on the platform for 72.5, and it felt like I had air in my hands - the weight just flew up on me.

Quick little conversation with my coach, and we agreed on 78kg for my second. The world record was 77.5, and I only needed to break it by .5kg. Because there were only three of us doing bench only, they put us in with the ladies doing three lift, and it was a full flight of 14, meaning lots of rest time. Sat down and relaxed with my teammates, and mentally got ready. I had hit 77.5 on the platform at provincials and I knew I had 78, just needed to stay calm. Again, the weight came up easy.

Chose 80 for my third, again with my coaches input. Waiting is the hardest part - the first couple minutes are welcome but then you get eager to lift. I just tried to stay relaxed and in my body, not letting my brain nitpick away at technique. 80 came up a lot easier on the platform than it has in the gym, although it was clear that my triceps were fatiguing. No real surprise given that my last training session on Thursday involved a triceps beat down courtesy of narrow grip bench and floor press volume work.

Since Raw allows fourth attempts for records as long as you lift clean on your third, I got a fourth. Coach had me go to 81, the table was surprised that we didn't go for more, but I listened to my coach. It turned out that I had more in me, as 81 wasn't even close to being a grinder, but unfortunately wasn't caught on video.

And Saint is going to have to come back and give the video links because I suck at that part. At least I can bench though.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Awesome, congrats!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Amazing!! Congratulations and bloody well done on your hard work!!!
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Not a problem.

72.5: dai.ly/x32t7ak

78: dai.ly/x32t7ir

80: dai.ly/x32t6xu
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations on your record! <3
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yeay! go you! congrats :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I think I may say 'well done'
    British understatement for WOW.

cheers, h.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would also naturally say Well Done

But I've learned western in my time here

that's fecking awesome...way to go...Whoot!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would also naturally say Well Done

But I've learned western in my time here

that's fecking awesome...way to go...Whoot!

Good job, Rabbit :)

And to you too, Iron Miss!! YEAH!!

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Congrats!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg that's bleeping awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!! :happydance:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    No one's posted minions applauding? FTFY
    giphy.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I need to find a wife with @Iron_Miss_Canada mentality. This is an amazing thing to put on the lifting resume.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Watching choked me up...and I love how you describe it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    HUZZAH!!! way to kill it!!! I know this is a thing for you- so proud of you for coming along so far and really putting that time in- that's really where the work is!!! Good on you!!
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations! Here's to breaking the record again at your 11th competition ;)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Follow your posts here a lot on MFP, and am thrilled for you. Well deserved!!!!