Never ever eat after this time.

Options

Replies

• Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to your weight loss eating late at night or through he night as long as you stick to your deficit. CI<CO. If I wake up hungry during the night I will have a healthy snack or drink and I'm still loosing weight. So many people say "don't eat after 6pm" it's a myth. I eat when I'm hungry :smiley:
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It might give you heartburn depending on what you eat.

Or nightmares depending on whether you believe my mom.

But otherwise, no, it makes no difference.

:Raises hand: I'm one of those people who will have nightmares if I eat peanuts/peanut butter before bed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    if I eat at night and stay within my calorie deficit, will I gain weight?
    No. You will lose weight if you have a calorie deficit. The time you get your calories does not make a difference to weight loss. I have have lost 25 lbs and have been eating after 8 PM the whole time.
    Does late night eating do anything at all if you don't go over your calories for the day?
    Not for weight loss.
    If you have sleep issues, you may not want to eat near your bed time or in the middle of the night.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    It might give you heartburn depending on what you eat.

Or nightmares depending on whether you believe my mom.

But otherwise, no, it makes no difference.

:Raises hand: I'm one of those people who will have nightmares if I eat peanuts/peanut butter before bed.
    I'd eat peanut butter every night if I could get this effect.

• CarolinaCricket
    CarolinaCricket Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Are you a mogwai? No? Don't worry about.
    gizmo.jpg

+1

What time you eat really has *zero* effect on weight loss. Stick to your deficit and you will lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I am a middle of the night eater. I go to be around 11, and wake up at like 3 am at least 2 or 3 nights a week and eat. I just do. Its weird.

You really, really, really need to break the habit. It won't make you gain weight if it's within your allowance,but it's very unhealthy.

Recently, research is telling us more and more that it's vital to give your digestion a long break from eating overnight. That's when your body heals and recovers from the stresses and strains of the day - physical and mental - and if you feed it food during that time, the recovery just doesn't happen. The longer a break you can have from food overnight, the healthier you will be.

Two things can make you hungry during the night - one is sheer habit, the other is that you're not hungry, you're thirsty (it's often hard to tell the difference). So always have a drink first and wait a few minutes before you give in to midnight snacks.

How, exactly, is it unhealthy?

And why, exactly, is a long break from food overnight, going to make someone "healthier"? Healthier in what way?

Do you have any research to support these comments?
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am a middle of the night eater. I go to be around 11, and wake up at like 3 am at least 2 or 3 nights a week and eat. I just do. Its weird.

You really, really, really need to break the habit. It won't make you gain weight if it's within your allowance,but it's very unhealthy.

Recently, research is telling us more and more that it's vital to give your digestion a long break from eating overnight. That's when your body heals and recovers from the stresses and strains of the day - physical and mental - and if you feed it food during that time, the recovery just doesn't happen. The longer a break you can have from food overnight, the healthier you will be.

Two things can make you hungry during the night - one is sheer habit, the other is that you're not hungry, you're thirsty (it's often hard to tell the difference). So always have a drink first and wait a few minutes before you give in to midnight snacks.

What about people on shift work, should they not eat at night, when they are awake and working?

Sorry, I really don't believe that time of day matters for eating. As long as you are eating at a deficit, it doesn't matter if it's day or night.

If you could link to the recent research you mentioned, that would be great.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@makemybodysing, Please provide peer reviewed links to back up your assertions about night eating. I see I am about the 4th or 5th person to ask. ;)

Personally, I think your information is downright myth.

Number three, following your two things above, and probably the most likely one:

You eat because you're hungry. :)
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So my whole life people have said, "Don't eat after 8" or "eat and wait 4 hours to go to bed" or "never get a midnight snack". So we've all heard these phrases and I'm sure many more. My question is, if I eat at night and stay within my calorie deficit, will I gain weight? Does late night eating do anything at all if you don't go over your calories for the day? Trying to weed out all the false information I've grown up on.

Thanks all!

The best luck I've ever had losing weight was not eating past 5 o'clock! It really helps drop weight, I always recommend it to friends when they ask how I lost weight.. Plus to me, I felt better in the morning
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    So my whole life people have said, "Don't eat after 8" or "eat and wait 4 hours to go to bed" or "never get a midnight snack". So we've all heard these phrases and I'm sure many more. My question is, if I eat at night and stay within my calorie deficit, will I gain weight? Does late night eating do anything at all if you don't go over your calories for the day? Trying to weed out all the false information I've grown up on.

Thanks all!

The best luck I've ever had losing weight was not eating past 5 o'clock! It really helps drop weight, I always recommend it to friends when they ask how I lost weight.. Plus to me, I felt better in the morning
    If it helps you maintain a deficit, it helps you drop weight.

• SLLRunner
    Options

Thanks all!

Cutting out a late night snack is often the way people go to create a calorie deficit.

It is due to the deficit that you lost weight. Not eating after five was just a tool you used to create that deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It's simply a way to force not eating an entire large bag of Doritos followed by a giant bowl of ice cream.

Oh man, do I remember those days.....and not too fondly either. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I found out meal timing didn't matter, 10 pounds seriously just fell off me. It was wonderful. I always save myself 300 calories for a nighttime snack before bed and sometimes I don't even get to them so I get even more a deficit... it's absolutely wonderful.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Thanks all!

I work until 7 pm.
    And sometimes I work from 7pm-7am. That would not be fun.
  • LaurenGraham2
    LaurenGraham2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From my research on this it's not what time you eat but what you eat, common sense and the same rule that applies to eating through the day. If you eat healthy foods or low calorie snacks you will continue to loose weight weather you eat them at 1 in the afternoon or 1 in the morning.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

1l4g2bmbqx22.gif
    221.gif 364.9K
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It's simply a way to force not eating an entire large bag of Doritos followed by a giant bowl of ice cream.

Oh man, do I remember those days.....and not too fondly either. :)

I totally remember those days fondly!

Or the half bag of fun sized snickers with the half bag of fun sized milky ways. Not to mention ordering in chinese. So that would be an order or ribs and either chicken fried rice or some type of noodley dish that I would totally finish in one sitting.

Yeah, no deficit in those days. :)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Some people get heartburn or have problems sleeping if they eat too late at night. If you don't have any problems like that, it's perfectly fine to eat late. It shouldn't affect your weight loss.

Along these lines, lying down right after a big meal can cause indigestion. But no worries for people having a light snack or not going to bed for a few hours after their big meal.