Getting fit without aerobic type exercise

hi all, I'm just starting, unfortunately due to medical reasons I'm unable to do any aerobic type exercise, no running/jogging etc, anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• misschip1983
    misschip1983 Posts: 67 Member
    hi , yes im the same, no running or jogging, I have hyperparathyroidism , which is slowly destroying my body. ive so far lost 4st , by eating healthy and I do gentle,low impact workouts. I find a lot off you tube such as sparks people sit down workout , theres a really good choice on there, if you type in sit down exercises for elderly or obese ,it brings up a lot. I also do leslie sansone walking work out ,you can change the moves to what works for you. hope this helps you a bit :)
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 330 Member
    Welcome!

Can you lift? A calorie deficit in your diet, along with building muscle (though lifting) will actually promote fat loss, and will help give you a nice physique.

Good luck :)
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    As mentioned above if you are able to increase your muscle mass via lifting while on a deficit you will increase fat loss.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    If you're unable to lift or do low-impact exercise, realize that all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Log every bite, use the recipe builder, and purchase a scale to weight all your food.

You got this!
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Did your doctor give recommendation of things that you could do?

Also 2nding the obese/elderly workouts, back when I was just starting to try and improve my fitness I used them. As a lot of 'beginner' work out routines were too difficult for me, eg do 15 bodyweight squats, when I couldn't do one without toppling over (I have feet/joint problems). So I did them with a chair and eventually moved the thing I was sitting on lower and lower till I could do one problem.

If you can afford it I would recommend getting a (good) personal trainer, as they can help tailor exercise for you to do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    What did the Dr say you could and couldnt do, its unclear what your limitations are.
    Anything where you are moving is a good start the normal suggestions are walking and swimming, but you know your own limitaions and wha you can manage. Exercise doesnt have to be all out and you just need to find the right level to suit you.

As pointed out above youtube has pleny of workouts for people of all abilities. Low impact workouts, light weights, yoga, pilates or tai chi could all be options depending on your condition.

Also as said above if its weight loss ur after then start with controlling your food.