If you had an extra half hour a day...

Options
If you had an extra 30 minutes each day to focus on your weight loss journey, how would you spend it?

The reason I ask - I've made a significant number of life changes in the last 2 months or so. I started out eating completely crappy (think boxed mac and cheese a few times a week), drinking a lot, and being completely sedentary. 8 weeks ago I started buying food from the local farmer's markets and teaching myself to cook. I quit drinking unless out at a social event, and I started drinking water all day for the first time in my life. 5 weeks ago I started taking 3-4 dance and fitness classes each week. I've since added in 15-20 minutes each morning of stretching and bodyweight exercises. I'm also weighing/logging using myfitness pal.

With all of that said, I feel GREAT, but I've seen zero change in either the scale or measurements. Now this is NOT a "omg why am I not losing weight" post. I know how the science works. If I'm not losing, I need to focus more and work harder. Which leads me to my original question....if I decided to dedicate an extra half hour each day to this, how would I best be served? Walking/biking outside? Going to the gym and doing something? Increasing my bodyweight exercises? I definitely plan to tighten up my logging even further (yes, I use a food scale and measuring cups already), so I'd like to spend my extra time focusing on the other side of the coin.

Background in case it comes up: I am 36, female, 5'6 and 155. Goal weight is around 135 or loss of 1 pants size. I've been steady at 155 pounds for about 5 years and most of my extra weight is now around my mid-section (formerly I was a pear). I used the Scooby TDEE calculator to determine my calorie goal and I do not log my exercise. I take 3 to 4 dance classes each week which range from cardio-style workouts to technical ballet classes which focus more on strength and stretching. I have access to a gym with cardio equipment and weight machines, but no free weights. I use Sworkit every morning for stretching and strength exercises.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I'd spend it sleeping if I could.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I concur with Tex above - sleeping. When I'm not well rested, I don't feel like exercising and if I do exercise, I don't really push myself; also, end up eating "junk" because I'm sleepy. I don't think it's possible to overestimate the importance of good sleep for weight-loss/overall health.
  • HB1032
    HB1032 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    T-25 is pretty good, 25 minutes long and you could do it at home at your best convenience.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

agreed. I do not get enough sleep and sometimes I feel like I sabatoge myself because of that
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Food prep at home.

During my working week I eat out constantly because...I am a lazy bum mostly and can't be bothered to prepare stuff to bring in. I'm sure my wallet would thank me as well.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't think time is really the issue with my weight loss. I have enough time to work out, cook, and plan healthy meals. Sometimes I just don't make good choices.

If I had another half hour I'd spend it watching TV or sleeping, but definitely something relaxing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything because I have plenty of time as it is (don't hate, lol).

You seem to be doing everything right, my guess is that your muscles are just retaining water, which is normal when you suddenly start exercising a lot. Keep logging accurately (ditch the measuring cups, you only need them for liquids anyway) and doing what you're doing and the weight will come off.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Since you say you weighing your food, we might as well assume that you are accurately accounting for your calorie intake. You are not, however, as accurate with your calorie expenditure. So, if I had an extra 30 minutes, I would use that to recalculate my calorie goal using MFP and then I would log my workouts. While the TDEE method requires less logging, it makes some assumptions about how many calories you are burning per workout. If you aren't burning that many calories, you want lose weight. Of course, another option would be to use that 30 minutes for more exercise, so that you are burning the number of calories the TDEE calculator estimated.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    While the TDEE method requires less logging, it makes some assumptions about how many calories you are burning per workout.
    Not necessarily. All you really need to know is your intake and your weight changes.

And it's not like NEAT doesn't make assumptions about calorie burn, right?
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    While the TDEE method requires less logging, it makes some assumptions about how many calories you are burning per workout.
    Not necessarily. All you really need to know is your intake and your weight changes.

The assumptions that NEAT makes are less of a problem because people's metabolisms aren't really that much different. The problem with TDEE calculators is that they make assumptions about how long you are working out and at what intensity level. There's a huge difference between someone who is walking their dog for thirty minutes and someone who is running for an hour and a half, but many of the TDEE calculators would estimate their calorie burn as being the same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I would spend the extra 30 minutes weeding the garden.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

The assumptions that NEAT makes are less of a problem because people's metabolisms aren't really that much different. The problem with TDEE calculators is that they make assumptions about how long you are working out and at what intensity level. There's a huge difference between someone who is walking their dog for thirty minutes and someone who is running for an hour and a half, but many of the TDEE calculators would estimate their calorie burn as being the same.
    Oh, you're talking about TDEE calculators. I thought you were talking about figuring your own TDEE. Calculators are somewhat useful for a starting point but pale in comparison to using a person's actual results in figuring out his TDEE. The calculators certainly aren't necessary.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Oh, you're talking about TDEE calculators. I thought you were talking about figuring your own TDEE. Calculators are somewhat useful for a starting point but pale in comparison to using a person's actual results in figuring out his TDEE. The calculators certainly aren't necessary.

You're right, they aren't necessary, but the OP used one and isn't losing weight. Of all that stuff she mentioned, an incorrect TDEE calculation seems to be the most likely cause of her not losing weight.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You're right, they aren't necessary, but the OP used one and isn't losing weight. Of all that stuff she mentioned, an incorrect TDEE calculation seems to be the most likely cause of her not losing weight.

Interesting point, I had not considered that my calculations were off. I used a few different calculators, assuming 1 to 3 hours a week of exercise (even though it's a little more than that). My TDEE - 20% came in around 1500-1600, so I set a goal of 1500 to allow for minor errors in measuring/weighing. Does that seem too high for my height/weight?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well that's the issue with TDEE calculators, you have to figure out where you are. It's very easy to say 'oh I exercise 5 days a week' and put moderately active, when you don't actually burn enough to be in that category (especially if you just sit the rest of the day). In OPs case, I would go with lightly active, not moderately active, for example, as some of the dancing classes are mostly strength and stretching and won't burn a lot of calories.

Bottom line, if you don't lose, eat less, although in this case if she just started exercising, I'd give it a couple weeks first.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd probably spend it doing housework or playing with the kids. I'd *like* to sleep though, lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you get plenty of exercise already so that wouldn't be my focus. I'd probably spend it tracking trends in my diet and weight. TDEE calculators are a good generic place to start, but they aren't always correct on an individual basis. If you aren't losing like you'd expect, I'd spend some time analyzing the data to see how much you should be eating.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    We have the same stats, height & weight that is. When I started on MFP I was 156 lbs, 123 days later I'm now 147 lbs. What helped me the MOST was the food scale, consistency and lots of patience. It took me a whole month before I'd lost any weight. Even now, I lose mind numbingly slow! The upside is I have lost inches, especially in my "problem" areas like stomach & thighs.

I guess my suggestion to you is give it a couple of more weeks. I know that's what worked for me, especially when I started exercising.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Definitely me too.