Getting into Rowing

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    i found this videoo help with form . . . .

He's a great rower, and is telling her to do the right things, but if you're a visual learner I'd be careful: She never quite does what he says, especially on the recovery (she breaks her knees immediately, well before the body swing, for one). The workouts he gives are reasonable, too.

Especially for visual learners, I'd recommend the videos at Concept 2, at this link: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

The first page has the basic rowing stroke, in more detail than the YouTube video above, and there are more videos you can get to from the menu on the left side (web version of the site - not sure how it looks on mobile, but look for links under a "Technique Videos" heading).
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the information and advice, this has really motivated me to keep with it. I did a 6500 m row today in about 30 minutes and it felt more natural. I'm trying to stay on top of my form so I don't ingrain any bad habits. Actually the biggest turning point for me was just enjoying the experience of rowing and learning a new skill rather than focusing on how cardiovascularly taxed I felt (or didn't feel). The workouts are good and I just need to give it time.
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Okay so today I focussed more on my power and ignored the strokes per minute, i felt the workout was more effective. I think I might try reducing the load a bit to see how that affects the rowing next workout. I would love, love, love to get my 2000 meter to 6:30, but right now it's very far away from that like 9 minutes. I rowed 4500 in 21 min today then did a 5 km run and some suspension training for upper body. I appreciate the input. I am going to look into signing up on the concept2 site.

What is your drag factor set at? (The damper setting is only an indication and the drag factor decreases for the same damper setting as your fan needs to be cleaned). I would recommend a drag factor between 110 and 120. (Many beginners set it to high.) What is your best 2,000m time? (I don't need to know, but helpful for what follows.). I recommend knowing your best 2,000 meter time, your resting HR, your max HR and going to IndoorSportServices.co.uk, go to training, the Interactive Programmes, and clicking on the 2,000m program. (If you're not sure sure of your fitness level per that site, do the 4-min O'Neill Fitness test to get an idea.) The program will give you your HR ranges for each intensity zone along with your split ranges aand stroke rate ranges for each zones. It will also suggest warmup times for each zone. There is a lot of helpful information on that site (including training info from three-time Olympic rowing coach Terry O'Neill.)

Happy rowing!

I have a C2 logbook and I'm interested in training partners who want to improve their rowing.... It's great that you're interested in proper form. The best place I've seen for rowing techniques (and examples of poor form) are on the C2 UK site. It's much better than the USA site. It's also helpful to place a mirror along you so you can make sure your elbows are not bending before your wrists are over your knees. (Your force curve sounds good.) Go here: concept2.co.uk, click on indoor rowers, click on technique. There's a wealth of information there....
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Okay so today I focussed more on my power and ignored the strokes per minute, i felt the workout was more effective. I think I might try reducing the load a bit to see how that affects the rowing next workout. I would love, love, love to get my 2000 meter to 6:30, but right now it's very far away from that like 9 minutes. I rowed 4500 in 21 min today then did a 5 km run and some suspension training for upper body. I appreciate the input. I am going to look into signing up on the concept2 site.

What is your drag factor set at? (The damper setting is only an indication and the drag factor decreases for the same damper setting as your fan needs to be cleaned). I would recommend a drag factor between 110 and 120. (Many beginners set it to high.) What is your best 2,000m time? (I don't need to know, but helpful for what follows.). I recommend knowing your best 2,000 meter time, your resting HR, your max HR and going to IndoorSportServices.co.uk, go to training, the Interactive Programmes, and clicking on the 2,000m program. (If you're not sure sure of your fitness level per that site, do the 4-min O'Neill Fitness test to get an idea.) The program will give you your HR ranges for each intensity zone along with your split ranges aand stroke rate ranges for each zones. It will also suggest warmup times for each zone. There is a lot of helpful information on that site (including training info from three-time Olympic rowing coach Terry O'Neill.)

Happy rowing!

I have a C2 logbook and I'm interested in training partners who want to improve their rowing.... It's great that you're interested in proper form. The best place I've seen for rowing techniques (and examples of poor form) are on the C2 UK site. It's much better than the USA site. It's also helpful to place a mirror along you so you can make sure your elbows are not bending before your wrists are over your knees. (Your force curve sounds good.) Go here: concept2.co.uk, click on indoor rowers, click on technique. There's a wealth of information there....

Thank you!