How to calculate calories on homemade broth?

USAMcK
USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I just made a pot of homemade vegetable broth. I didn't blend in any of the veg and just strained them out.

300 calories worth of veggies and oil went in, plus water. After straining out all the veggies, I got 14 8-oz. servings. That's 21 calories per cup. I'm calling it 25 just to be round about it.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Sounds good to me. There isn't much left to those veggies when they're done simmering! Even my cat and my neighbor's dog turned them down, lol.

I make my own stock and just log a store-bought, no-sodium stock.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    USAMcK wrote: »
    Hi,

I just made a pot of homemade vegetable broth. I didn't blend in any of the veg and just strained them out.

300 calories worth of veggies and oil went in, plus water. After straining out all the veggies, I got 14 8-oz. servings. That's 21 calories per cup. I'm calling it 25 just to be round about it.

Thoughts?
    Your vegetable stock sounds good and you can afford to overestimate because you know there aren't going to be too many calories no matter what you do.

Over the weekend, I turned 3 or 4 lbs of smoked pig tails into stock, lard and cracklin. When you make stock from long simmers of meat and bones and you get a lot of collagen and marrow and you reduce the volume so you end up with something stiffer than jello when refrigerated. I know its got way more calories than grocery store stock, but I don't know if it's 5x, 10x or 100 times more. I've posed the question in several threads and I hope I'm not becoming a nuisance with it.
  • herrcates1
    herrcates1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I am wondering if you found an answer to your question, I too am trying to figure it out

Thanks
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Boiling the veges does move the calories to the broth unless they have oil. So count the oil and forget the veges.

For the meat broths, the only way to tell calories is to let the broth cool and separate, remove the fat from the top and weigh it. Put back what you want at 9 calories per gram and disregard the rest unless you used something like beans or cereal that is now disbursed in the broth. Meat render fat but there is no other way to tell how much. If you used a marrow bone, you can weigh it raw and weigh it after straining and log it at 7-9 calories per gram.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    I use an MFP entry that mirrors one of these. (I realize the OP is very old, but perhaps this will help the poster who revived it.)

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=stock