Morning Run

Options

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I swear I'm the only piggy who has to eat a full breakfast before a morning workout. I've been cutting back a little before running, but I think I'll go full meal next time. I just didn't have the energy in the last 2 runs.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat for anything over 10 miles or if I wake up hungry will have a banana.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a pint of water then go out for my daily 2mile 6am run, much prefer to be fasted at that time. If I run over 3 miles ill have a light cereal breakfast and let it sit for half an hour then go, but that's weekend running only.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning at 3:30. I ate late last night to help my body have something in it this morning. If I was going to run for an hour maybe an hour and a half or longer, I would eat before the run too but anything under an hour, nothing.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love morning runs!
    I don't eat anything at all, run fasted. I only do 3 miles though, so not sure if you may need a little something for longer runs. Maybe a banana.

** HAHA luv your profile pic, too damn funny! Sounds like me.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If it's up and out the door, then just a quick cup of coffee.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If it's a normal Sunday-Friday morning run, just a little water if I have anything. Saturday runs I may have a little to eat because I have time. Before races- just coffee if travel time is less than 20 mins, maybe a banana if I have to travel more than 20 mins.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before an early morning workout. I also don't do coffee prior because...

...well, that triggers an entirely different morning routine that is not compatible with lifting or running.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I run. MUST EAT!

I have half a bowl of cheese grits and a cup of coffee. I make time for a trip to the little girls room and then head out the door.

This is tradition. This is necessary. It doesn't matter if it is a training run or a race, this is how it must be.

I just budget my time to be out the door by 5:00 and lately, it is already in the 70's when I get going on my run at 5:00. I may have to reconsider and begin earlier!

Good luck to you!!!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Polish of my glass of water next to my bed (about 10-20 oz depending how much i drank during the night) and go. Longer weekend runs require a glass of milk at least 30 minutes prior.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the morning(I run 3 miles a day, 6 days a week) and I don't eat before I run unless I feel like my blood sugar is low, then I'll just eat a banana and drink a cup of coffee. (I don't run in the heat either! Heck no! lol) I tend to cramp if I eat before a run and plus, when I don't eat beforehand, I force my body to use the stored fat as fuel instead of something I just ate. ;)
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Any run under 90 minutes is a cup o coffee with a splash of cream and go. Over 90 minutes I take some diluted juice with me 'just in case' but don't usually drink it until near the end of my run. If I eat before a run I feel sluggish and I usually end up not having a great run at all.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yeah...my goal for a true morning run is to be about a half mile into it before I realize what I am doing. If I think about it too long, there is a good chance it is not going to happen, lol.

More importantly, I think it is all about what you eat the night before. If I know I am going for a run the next day I try to get some pasta or something in me so that I can have the carbs to burn the next day but it has digested enough that it doesn't give my cramps.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I roll out of my bed and go. Deodorant and brushing my teeth can wait until I get back. Same with eating. If it is a longer run I might eat a banana. I think its all about personal preference and this is something you might have to learn via trial and error.

same here...most of my running begins between 4 and 5 am. :happy:

have fun!
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I had to google what TCOB meant. But definitely this. Definitely. I don't eat either before AM runs. Also, I think you definitely have to train your body to do early runs. So don't feel too bummed if your first AM run is difficult (maybe it won't be though!) My pace is a little slower in the AMs, but I appreciate it once it's 100+ degrees outside (or even 80 degrees). Good luck!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Funny thing is our systems were down on Tuesday, so I took lunch earlier and run (before I ate). It was a really "easy" run. I will try a morning fasted run.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I workout every morning at 5am and don't eat breakfast until at least 9am.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    OMG I tried my first fasted run!!! BEST. RUN. EVER. Thank you for letting me know I wouldn't fall down and die of hunger at mile 2.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Egg white on ww toast. With cup of coffee. I do 8 miles 4 days a week. I feel like you have to feed the machine for a good workout. Iusually 2 bottles of water during the run. A protein bar after.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ill usually do a piece of fruit