How many calories do I burn?

Hey everybody, I'm new here, just found out about this great site :)
But I was wondering (and I'm sorry if someone already asked this but I couldn't see it by scrolling through) how do I know how many calories I burn? I go to the gym with my group and we have a trainer. He usually makes us do all sorts of things, mostly by using our own body weight, stretches, balls and kettlebells.
The thing is that I have no idea how much calories I burn so I don't know how many calories I can eat to fit my goal!
Anybody who can help?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Count that type exercise as 0 calories and just know that it's making your more fit. It does of course count as calories but there's not a good method for measuring that type of thing. You could add in a generic 100 calories or so and see how that works out. Increase or decrease as necessary.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Count that type exercise as 0 calories and just know that it's making your more fit. It does of course count as calories but there's not a good method for measuring that type of thing. You could add in a generic 100 calories or so and see how that works out. Increase or decrease as necessary.

This isn't a bad idea but I guarantee you burn way more than 100 calories if you have a trainer. How long you do work out for and how much cardio are you doing?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I would log it as light calisthenics.
  • lucyywombat
    lucyywombat Posts: 3 Member
    I am new here too and have a related question on logging exercise -- I somehow thought upgrading to Premium would get me access to better, more current exercise information, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is adding generic calories really the only option for those of us who do a complicated workout involving different cardio machines at different levels, free weights, lunges, squats, dead bug, all kinds of step ups, and other core exercises?
    Thx in advance for any insights!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I am new here too and have a related question on logging exercise -- I somehow thought upgrading to Premium would get me access to better, more current exercise information, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is adding generic calories really the only option for those of us who do a complicated workout involving different cardio machines at different levels, free weights, lunges, squats, dead bug, all kinds of step ups, and other core exercises?
    Thx in advance for any insights!

Original OP what Jemh said and then eatback 50% of the calories MFP awards, but adjust as needed i.e if you arent losing eat back fewer of them.

Lucy with exercise calories the issue is logging an accurate number. There are 3 methods of estimating, use machines, use mfp or use a hrm. None of them are perfect and all are estimates. HRMs are ok for steady state cardio, but nit suitable for other methods due to the way they calculate calorie burns, MFP can be overgenerous in many exercises for some people or people overestimate their effort and some machines are better than others.

In a routine as you describe, then I would just log the cardio aspects of it and enter those individually i.e 10 minutes on treadmill . I wouldnt add resistance exercises as they burn fewer calories as they are much harder to calculate and they burn much fewer calories. Rhere is an option to enter custom exercises or if you searcch the database calisthenics are in there. Most people just enter nothing or 1 calories for resistance/weight training. Eatback 50% of the calories MFP gives you as a starting point as protection againts MFP being overgenerous/ eating calories you have not burned and then adjust to eat more or fewer calories based on results over time.

Its not ideal, but the standard way most people treat MFP calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    oilphins wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

This isn't a bad idea but I guarantee you burn way more than 100 calories if you have a trainer. How long you do work out for and how much cardio are you doing?

You're right. It could be as high as 150 cals...

Key point is that there is no good way to measure, so use a number that's close enough and adjust as required according to progress.