Upper body workout.

Options
Okay, so I've got "leg day" pretty well nailed in that I sold my car and bike everywhere in a fairly hilly city.
I'm looking for an upper body workout that can help give some balance to my T-Rex frame. I have access to a Tuff-Stuff SPT-6 workout unit in my office gym and I'd like to make use of it this winter. Are there any solid upper body routines that you've been through on a weight/cable style machine that you thought, "MAN that was great!" ?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    AwfHand wrote: »
    Okay, so I've got "leg day" pretty well nailed in that I sold my car and bike everywhere in a fairly hilly city.

I've heard that many times, and most guys who say it end up limping the day after doing a single set of squats & lunges. That's because biking is more about endurance than true strength. It also doesn't train lifting ability, which is the skill of lifting heavy objects without throwing out your back. So i'd follow a standard, full-body program. You can reduce the number of leg sets if you want, but i definitely wouldn't eliminate them. The Tuff-Stuff machine doesn't work legs properly - i'd seek out a pair of adjustable dumbbells or a barbell, perhaps from craigslist. There's a simple cable & dumbbell program in my profile. I think New Rules of Lifting might also work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    AwfHand wrote: »

I've heard that many times, and most guys who say it end up limping the day after doing a single set of squats & lunges. That's because biking is more about endurance than true strength. It also doesn't train lifting ability, which is the skill of lifting heavy objects without throwing out your back. So i'd follow a standard, full-body program. You can reduce the number of leg sets if you want, but i definitely wouldn't eliminate them. The Tuff-Stuff machine doesn't work legs properly - i'd seek out a pair of adjustable dumbbells or a barbell, perhaps from craigslist. There's a simple cable & dumbbell program in my profile. I think New Rules of Lifting might also work.

+1. Biking is not strength training. Choose a full body routine.
  • AwfHand
    AwfHand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I really don't need leg work... Maybe I should have offered more about me. I leg press 675, do crit, TT and century races. I formerly raced DH slalom and will do lunges or squats or pistol squats alongside anybody. The bike commuting is fairly new and (daylight dependent) I can usually cram 4-6 intervals into my ride to or from. I'm not trying to brag, but I really don't need more leg work.

I have core work that I do ~3x per week or more depending on where I am in the racing season. I'm looking for upper body.