Air Force Trainee newly enlisted

Options
I have been very active the past several months and now just recently enlisted in the United States Air Force. I'm 11 pounds under my max weight limit but would like to lose anothr 10 pounds! I want to be able to run 2 miles in 17 minutes and do pushups without stopping. But I have the weakness for sugary granola and ice cream! Need to stop it immediately! Love support if I can help it.

Replies

• nathanbercel
    nathanbercel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was in the AF for a while. i have been out since 2004. I'm almost 40 now. All i know about practicing for the pt tests is that it helps to practice. i use to do pushups everyday in the weeks before a test. With pushups I would do as many normal ones as i could, then i would rest on my knees and do more that way. With running, just practice, I like the treadmill, but whatever works. just make these exercises a priority, and you will show improvement.

Nate
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Retired Army, instead of Air Force - but the process is similar. 1) Know what the standards are for the test (minimum score - time or repetition based scoring system based on the event - 1 minute of push-ups, 1 minute of sit-ups, timed 1.5 mile run, If I recall correctly ). 2) Initially, train for the test. Focus on improving in those areas. Here's a link for "Getting Ready for Boot Camp" (http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/prepare-yourself-for-boot-camp), but there are a lot of other resources available - your recruiter may have a specific plan for you as well. 3) Once you a fit enough to pass the test every time, I'd recommend broadening your training plan to encompass overall fitness but do include some specific training focused on the test. Regularly test yourself to check your progress.

Good luck & "Aim High!" (if the USAF is still saying that?)
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For female minimum passing, I believe it's 18 pushups in 1 minute; 38 sit ups in 1 minute, and a mile and a half run in 16.42 minutes. But I want the Thunderbolt graduate standards and while I don't recall the standards, my goal is to do 50 pushups in 1 minute as well as 65 sit ups and run 1.5 mile in 15 minutes or less. I can do 10 military pushups and I do one extra every day. I can already do 35 in one minute, 100 in two minutes. I can run 1.5 mile in 15 minutes when I give it my all. I don't know when I'm leaving for basic just yet but I aim to be more than "just prepared". Good enough isn't good eough--- that's my motto. You being a retired Airman, I appreciate your advice greatly!
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For female minimum passing, I believe it's 18 pushups in 1 minute; 38 sit ups in 1 minute, and a mile and a half run in 16.42 minutes. But I want the Thunderbolt graduate standards and while I don't recall the standards, my goal is to do 50 pushups in 1 minute as well as 65 sit ups and run 1.5 mile in 15 minutes or less. I can do 10 military pushups and I do one extra every day. I can already do 35 in one minute, 100 in two minutes. I can run 1.5 mile in 15 minutes when I give it my all. I don't know when I'm leaving for basic just yet but I aim to be more than "just prepared". Good enough isn't good eough--- that's my motto. You being a retired Airman, I appreciate your advice greatly!

35 Sit ups, not pushups. (I wish I could do that many pushups right now!)
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    Sounds like you're already off to a good start. Check out some of the links - some have some pretty good progression programs.
  • matt83_ssd
    matt83_ssd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 years Air Force and just maxed out my PT test. It took a few years to get that last bit but I was able to do it. Part of it was motivating myself. The other part was proper conditioning and nutrition. Training right and eating right. Before calorie counters were around I'd track my food the old fashioned way with paper and pencil. It helped me 1) maintain my discipline and 2) give me perspective as to what healthy portions were. My advice is use this app to the fullest and be accountable to yourself, and focus on sport/activity specific exercises (you wouldn't train for your 1.5 mile run by speedwalking...). Feel free to ask any questions or add me as a friend, and congratulations on your enlistment!
  • Matt200goal
    Options
    Standards - Here you go:

Females 2 Mile/1.5 Mile/Push Up/Sit Up/Pull Up
    Liberator (minimum graduation standard) 19:45 min. /13:56 min. /27 /50 /0
    Thunderbolt (honor graduate standard) 16:00 min. /11:33 min. /37/ 60/ 2
    Warhawk (extraordinary --highest standard) 15:00 min. /10:55 min. /40 /75 /5
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well keep at it... Marine Corps.. for the females it was 3 miles in under 38 min, dead hang for 75 seconds, and 100 crunches for a perfect 300... Semper Fi... you can do it.. just stay motivated and keep at it.. your well on your way already... keep at it.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thank you all for serving.