In a funk

Options
Let me preface this by saying I'm still on the right track and doing what I'm supposed to be doing, however, I'm in a funk. Maybe it's because I've plateaued, maybe it's trying to figure out my new schedule with my new career, maybe it's having to modify my workouts because my shoulder has decided to get bursitis. I don't know. I've lost over half the amount I've wanted to lose. I am still working out with a fantastic trainer who changes things up every time. I'm just blah. It isn't fun anymore. So my question is how to recharge.

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Change is as good as a break. Or just take a break. Eat at maintenance for a few weeks, think of it as practice for when you get to goal. Google "diet breaks".

Back to change though for a moment, try changing you macros up (low fat if you are low carb, or vice versa).

Go shopping for new clothes to help you celebrate the progress you've made so far.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think one can put so much energy into the idea of transformation that when it is in process or we have plateaued it can be to very silent cheers. or the 'now what? ' phase. This is when I usually put on a pair of pants or a shirt which I couldn't fit before and now feel lose in. I stand in the mirror to the side and see the gap between button and waist. Or I put in a tight t-shirt and see a waist and chest instead of bulge. For me I need visual reminders to get me out of funks or blues. I also track my moods with a mood app to make certain my moods are held in check. And at the end of the day I know I'm doing my best and sometimes knowing that is enough to rattle the blues out and to get on with the day.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Change up your workout routine. I find that when I get into the same workout routine every time, I tend to get bored with it. So, I change it up a little and that seems to help. I also agree that taking a "short" break is good, but I tend to see it grow to a "long" break, so I try to avoid this. I also agree that maybe go shopping for a new shirt or pants or something like that. That is a real confidence booster!! I bought 2 pair of jeggings a couple weeks ago and I SWORE that I would never be able to wear them....but, my sister forced me to try them on and they fit like a glove!!!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I go through this periodically. Honestly, this is when habit takes over and I just coast for a bit - meaning that I still stay on track, eat my allotted calories and track and log everything, I'm just not excited about it. I think it's really normal. Unfortunately, I don't have any fantastic tricks to break the funk, I have found that if I keep plugging away and doing what I am supposed to be doing, the funk eventually lifts. I just don't allow myself to use the funk as an excuse to give up or take a break, because for *ME* taking a break has always meant "giving up." I have to stress that for ME and ME ONLY, taking a break is a really bad idea. I know others that really benefit from that very thing, I'm just not one of them.

Some things that you can try though:
    Find some new recipes that look yummy and exciting
    Find a new workout or class to try
    try something completely out of your comfort zone (a new food, a physical activity you have always shied away from, etc.)
    Ask someone new to be a workout partner
    Completely change up your routine so you have to concentrate and think about things again.

Also, if you are in a prolonged plateau (more than 6-8 weeks of absolutely no movement without explanation - i.e. relaxed logging, untracked bites/licks/tastes, etc.) go talk to your doctor. I've had that happen and have been completely and totally frustrated only to go to the doctor and find out one of my medications was off and needed adjustment (I have hypothyroidism and T2 Diabetes).
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Thanks everyone....truly your words have helped
  • nailgirl70
    nailgirl70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I felt this way just yesterday! I have been working out and faithfully logging meals and exercise in mfp. I feel good after my workouts and actually am very proud of myself, but for some reason I felt as if what i am doing is not enough. I felt blah! Then I reminded myself that I need to have patience. The weight didn't show up over night and it certainly will not come off in a blink of an eye. Today I had my confirmation of being on the right track. I put on a pair of jeans that where snug about 3 weeks ago and are they are now baggy. (Yes I did a happy dance!) Something as simple as that. So now I've taken the time to refocus and raise my fitness bar just a bit. Hang in there! This too shall pass.
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Thanks so much....truly. your Sat statement is said often by my mom. I am doing better today. I vented a lot to my trainer and it helped as well. I'm focusing more on every morsel that goes in. let's face it if you cheat on your diary you are only cheating yourself. I just need to keep my eye on the prize and that is a healthier me.