Lower Back Pain While Running

Options
I recently took up running again and I was very excited once I got my endurance back and was able to go 2 miles without stopping. However, I'm starting to get this nagging lower back pain. It only happens to me after a run of about 30 minutes or so. I ran two marathons, one as recently as 2 and 1/2 years ago and never had this problem. Has any other runner experienced this before and how do you cope? It's pretty frustrating.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lower abs- I have like- perma-lordosis (okay it's not- but it feels that way) and if I'm not 100% focused on keeping a slightly forward engagement in my low abs- my sciatica and low back literally just get hammered on with ever step I take.

it's exhausting since- despite all the dancing- I still have shi* for lower ab engagement. But I know for me- about 25-30 minutes is all I can take if I'm checked out and forget to engage and my back starts to take the hit on that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    ^^ That ... focus on contracting the abdominals, to prevent pelvic tilting, and also excessive torso rotation (can happen when the legs get tired).
    If you sit a lot, try stretching your hip flexors a few times a day.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Yep, I sit all day at work, with the exception of going to a meeting or to the restroom.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've been an avid runner now for about 7 years and usually run 5-6 days a week. I've done six half marathons and a ton of ten k runs. I find the same thing happens to me only if I've taken any time off, say three days or so. It's usually on my lower right side of my back. and like you it happens after a period of time right around the 8k mark but then goes away. hopefully after you start running more, you don't have that problem anymore.
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check HOW you're sitting at work - is your workstation ergonomically correct? Are you sitting up straight or slouching - or maybe you're sitting TOO upright, with your back arched? The way you're sitting all day could be weakening your core, so you're not holding yourself properly when running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    think pelvic tilt while you run. think about the alignment.
    I have duck butt. and I have good lower abdominals. but I have a bit of sway. focusing on my running posture helps me avoid any lower back discomfort