Diabetic who needs to loose 15/ 20 lbs

Looking for someone to lead me on the right track. I have tried before to lose but can't. I just finished going through my change and had put weight on during that time, so now the real work begins. Thanks for your help in advance. Doreen

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    What do you mean 'the right track'? Which track is right for you? Everyone loses weight differently, but I can tell you what worked for me.

At first I didn't worry about my calorie goal. I just logged every single bite or sip of anything that went into my mouth. Of course, I was always going over my goal, but I didn't care. The POINT was finding out exactly how much I was eating on a normal basis. Not shockingly, I discovered I was eating well over my calorie goal. Without realizing what was going on, I started making better choices - just because I was logging honestly. I started not wanting to see the calories in my diary shift to red (letting me know I'd gone over). I've been logging religiously for almost 800 days, have lost more than 70 pounds and am training for a half marathon. And it all started out with me just being honest with myself. Through lots of trial and error, once I got serious about dropping pounds, I discovered that I cannot succeed if I cut out any foods. I can cut DOWN on them, but I cannot cut them out, or I'll binge on the food eventually, get pissed off at myself and 'rage quit' the attempt. So I eat chocolate and french fries and pizza and cookies and ice cream and have beer and gin and tonics. Sometimes I have more than I should, but since I'm logging and paying attention to my calories I am able to keep those occasional over-indulgences from turning into weight gain.

How do YOU want to lose wieght? Do you need a very structured plan? Something less structured? You have to decide what will work for you. :) Good luck.