Kickboxing or Step Aerobics?

Options
which workout dvd will burn more calories?

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a kickboxing class for a while. About every 2 months, the instructor works out a kickboxing routine that also utilizes a step. I wear a Fitbit Charge HR, and I have to admit, I use about the same number of steps and calories for both routines. So try them both and pick whichever one you enjoy more. I found the step rather cumbersome; I'm not big on choreography.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing, especially if done on a bag with gloves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would think kickboxing!
  • 0526luz
    0526luz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also took a kickboxing class. It was fun. Learned alot. Just depends on what you like. Step is nice but kuckboxing is kind of rough...
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you put into it. I can get equal calorie burns for both, if I work it. I don't know what DVD you're considering, but if you want the best of both worlds, let me recommend Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 Minutes to fitness Step-boxing. She does kickboxing routines incorporated with step aerobics. I love it.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will say this. I used to do alot of martial art based workout videos. They would give me a good/decent workout. But once I actually starting MA training and hitting actual bags I was astounded at the difference in exertion. Not only that but the release of stress by actually hitting something. I don't do kick boxing I do Krav but kickboxing gets my vote here assuming you are going to invest in a heavy bag and gloves. If you are just going to punch and kick the air then probably doesn't matter much.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I did both (Bodycombat & step aerobic classes). I'm not sure what kind of dvd program you're gonna use, but I still vote for kickboxing by just considering the proportion of muscles utilized in each workout. Of course there will be struggles in each one of them, but I feel like I focused on lower body more when I do steps.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is better, but form is extremely important. So if you go with that make sure you spend time learning proper form.

In the long run though the question isn't just which will burn more, the question is which one are you most likely to do. Try some free work outs online, YouTube and even your cable station probably has some on demand. This way you see what you like. You need to make sure its what a workout you will do.

These days I prefer Kickbox and Zumba.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Since you're talking about DVD, I think you are not talking about actual kickboxing (i.e. TaiKwonDo), but rather an aerobics routine that uses punching and kicking type moves ("cardio kickboxing"). In that case, it should be about the same, assuming that the other aerobics video keeps you moving at about the same pace.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Depends on how much you put into it. I can get equal calorie burns for both, if I work it. I don't know what DVD you're considering, but if you want the best of both worlds, let me recommend Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 Minutes to fitness Step-boxing. She does kickboxing routines incorporated with step aerobics. I love it.

Kelly Coffey Meyer is great!

I'm a klutz (so I can't vouch for this particular DVD).....I use Kelly's weighted workouts. Here are video clips for a few of her kickboxing DVDs that use a step (there are 3): http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer/step-workout
  • jdeanuk
    jdeanuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The thing with kick boxing is that a lot of the exercises focus on the core- strong abs! Plus it's great for your arms (bingo wings) and your legs and backside! My son and daughter attend classes but there is lots of cardio and abs work- in a one hour lesson they can achieve 2-3000 steps or more! Push ups, leg raises, punching and kicking and it all helps with stamina too.