Why doesn't strength excerises count for burning calories ?

Am I entering in the data wrong? I'm sweating during the whole workout I was guessing it would count towards calories burnt. Any advice on this is appreciated

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    You can log the amount of time for "strength training" under the Cardiovascular section to get an estimate for Calories burned. You can use the Strength Training section to log sets, reps, and weights, but that section does not account for the amount of time or Calories burned.

Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles

btl8652brnow.jpg
  • rdavidson180
    rdavidson180 Posts: 11 Member
    Cybertone answers it well by the Cardio counter has alway seemed to me to be skewed. I biked 10-12 mph in moderately hilly terrain on asphalt for 2 hr 15 min the other day and the counter claimed 1600 calories burned??? I did take in 2200 calories but I should have been hurting a bit.
  • balboabilly
    balboabilly Posts: 39 Member
    Sweet guys!! Thanks for the help!! I'm still learning
  • kes0676
    kes0676 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a meter on my bike that records avg speed, cadence, mileage, and I wear a chest strap hrm....if you bike in hilly conditions for that amount of time, 1600 is correct. Maybe even a little low. I avg 1000 calories per 20 miles at an avg speed of 16mph. Takes about 45 mins? I hope this helps you feel better about the mfp reading :)