STRENGTH TRAINING | Help and advice please

Options
I have lost a lot of weight and as a result have a lot of excess skin and flab that I would like to get rid of. I work out hard and well 3 to 4 times a week with a combination of cardio, light weights and yoga. I can absolutely see changes in my body and I LOVE working out I just dont see that flab going away. YES surgery is something I have considered but Id like to do it by myself first. Someone recommended weight and strength training. I am interested in doing it but apprehensive at the same time because it is not my objective to build huge muscles. Anyone doing this? Anyone new at it and seeing results?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by results. First off, you can go ahead and stop worrying about accidently building huge muscles. That's not a real thing. If you're hoping to shrink excess skin, that's just going to be a product of time. But if you're hoping to improve how your body will ultimately look and perform and feel, then definitely start strength training and if you follow a proper regimen it will definitely yield results
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I started strength training just over 2 weeks ago. I still have a lot of weight to lose so I'm combining with cardio and a little HIIT. I LOVE it but its too soon for me to being seeing results yet I think. Weirdly I'm finding sore muscles and improved form and performance are enough reward for now.
    My husband is my trainer and doesnt take any nonsense! He pushes me to be stronger which is great as I know I wont ever get bulky. If I can do 8 reps of something I increase the weight up until I am unable to lift it (which is different from when I THINK I can't lift it).
    I love the idea of being strong; there's a couple of guys at the gym that I use as my measure of how well I'm doing. When I'm stronger than them I'll be a happy girl!
    I can't tell you from experience whether it will benefit you physically (of course I imagine it will) but mentally its a huge boost.