Squat Form Check

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hallo der,

I just got back into lifting after a little absence due to a back injury. I filmed by first set of 70Kg squats (I'm doing a 5x5), just wanted to make sure that my form was ok.

Any improvements here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK2EGOlh9tQ

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Watched it a couple times freezing it every once in a while. Bar path is excellent, back is tight and inline. Great depth. Doesn't seem to be any wobbling.
    Nice squatting!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Watched it a couple times freezing it every once in a while. Bar path is excellent, back is tight and inline. Great depth. Doesn't seem to be any wobbling.
    Nice squatting!

Thanks

It's probably freezing because it just uploaded.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Nice squatting!

Thanks

Lol...no, I was freezing the video into still shots so I could see the bar path

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Improvement? I don't know where you've come from, BUT you look dialed in now. Upper body stable, bar path good, elbows proper, good even pressure coming out of the hole (no fast hip good morning action) and great deliberate setup and unrack! Great job bro!!!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Nice squatting!

Thanks

Lol...no, I was freezing the video into still shots so I could see the bar path

OH DERP
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Improvement? I don't know where you've come from, BUT you look dialed in now. Upper body stable, bar path good, elbows proper, good even pressure coming out of the hole (no fast hip good morning action) and great deliberate setup and unrack! Great job bro!!!

I guess everything is ok for now :) the unrack is pretty awkward for me, the 2nd highest notch on the rack is too high and the one I use is a little bit too low.

Need a power rack in my gym :(
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Unracking a little low is always better. All heavy squatters say the unrack should be as deliberate as the squat. Stable torso, good breath, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The bar travels forward too much. This explains how to fix it:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=ka7Dstckhjg

What was your injury?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

What was your injury?

It was a lower back strain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Keep your knees a little more bent at the top of the movement. This keep the tension on the thighs. And quick drinking Hawaiian Punch. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

What was your injury?

It was a lower back strain.

Glad you're feeling better. I just came back from that myself. Looking good except like Cheri said, bar is moving forward a bit.

BTW: Nice groin shot in the opening of the video. :p
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Keep your knees a little more bent at the top of the movement. This keep the tension on the thighs. And quick drinking Hawaiian Punch. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's fruit punch yo ;) it's got a funky taste

I'll try and fix the bar path, I'll lighten the weight.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think the bar path is just fine. It only really came forward a little on that last rep when he was tired. The camera is sliiiightly behind him which is making it appear worse than it is, IMO.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I think the bar path is just fine. It only really came forward a little on that last rep when he was tired. The camera is sliiiightly behind him which is making it appear worse than it is, IMO.

My form could've been off a little... I haven't lifted for a little bit until yesterday and I just jumped right into 70Kg.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Looks like good form to me. The only thing I see is your breath. I'm not seeing that big gulp and tense breath before you squat. I've found that is a great help in engaging and stabilising your core and lower back. I'm sure there are proper terms for what I'm trying to say so I hope you get what I mean!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »
    Looks like good form to me. The only thing I see is your breath. I'm not seeing that big gulp and tense breath before you squat. I've found that is a great help in engaging and stabilising your core and lower back. I'm sure there are proper terms for what I'm trying to say so I hope you get what I mean!

I'll try that next time.

Am I meant to have my lungs full of air while going down on the squat, or have them emptied while going down?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Full on the way down. You can then exhale some on the way back up. The only thing I noticed was that it appeared you were looking somewhat downward. While that may not matter now, it'll likely show up when the weight gets heavier - and you'll end up rounding your back and/or leaning over too much, aka collapse. I notice that, if I look in the mirror and check to see just how deep I am (or whatever causes my gaze to lower) it often gets harder to complete the lift - whereas, if I keep my gaze up, I'm usually OK.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Full on the way down. You can then exhale some on the way back up. The only thing I noticed was that it appeared you were looking somewhat downward. While that may not matter now, it'll likely show up when the weight gets heavier - and you'll end up rounding your back and/or leaning over too much, aka collapse. I notice that, if I look in the mirror and check to see just how deep I am (or whatever causes my gaze to lower) it often gets harder to complete the lift - whereas, if I keep my gaze up, I'm usually OK.

Ok, thanks.

I prefer looking towards my heels in the mirror I'll look forwards and just follow my face in the mirror while squatting.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I agree I think your form looks really good.