Alternatives to crisps

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,684 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I am surprised that microwaved crisps are not more well known.

Slice a potato thinly in the food processor or with a mandolin. Lay slices in a single layer on top of silicon coated baking paper or reusable silicon baking mesh. Salt. You can also sprinkle vinegar at this time. Pop into the microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Remove any that are lightly browned to a serving dish. Nuke the remaining at 1-2 minute increments. Be careful because the difference between browned and burnt is quite a fine line. These continue to crisp up as they cool.

mind blown its actually chip consistency crunch and salty?

These are crispy and salty, but unfortunately don't taste fried. Give it a try.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Why not have them but control the portions? Try buying the ones proportioned for kids (if available) so that you know the calorie content for the serve but are eating less
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've learned over the years that I'm better off going ahead and planning for and eating a reasonable portion of the food I'm craving. Substitutes are always unsatisfying, and then I tend to end up eating the real thing anyway.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I made spicy baked chickpeas tonight. They are very crunchy and are very tasty. Not quite a substitute but they will do as an alternative. I only tasted 2 chickpeas to check for crunch so ill let you know how they actually taste when I eat them.
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips are good - they taste like chips but are more crackery, way less calories. Same goes with Wheat Thins Popped - you can get them in flavours like chips, and I think around 18 chips is 90 calories. You can find the Wheat Thin ones in the cracker aisle of the store, whereas the Pop Chips are in the crisps section.

I'm in Canada - not sure where you are, I assume the UK.