The world is YOUR gym!

Options
karlsantiago
karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Good morning good afternoon or good evening wherever you are in the world! What I've noticed through my own fitness journey is that many people dislike going to the gym or find it very inconvient, hard, or unenjoyable. Personally, I could spend hours in the gym and love it, but as a personal trainer, I've found that there is a big fear or dislike of training and working in crowded gym floors.

That is why I am dedicated to encouraging people to reach their fitness goals even without spending hours at the gym, or getting to and from. As long as you are moving, getting your heart rate up, and making those muscle work you are a million times better off than someone sitting on the couch!

So feel free to post all your non-gym workouts! Outdoors or indoors, in nature or in your living room! I'll share mine for this past weekend:

I went on a hike with a group of friends and our dogs. After, three hours our trackers said we burned 1800 calories! But that's not what was awesome about it though. It was a great and fun experience with even better company. Your fitness goals don't have to be a drag, so don't let it!!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I go out and play Ingress (ingress.com). its a GPS game that is best described as a combination of Geo cashing and capture the flag on a global level. I lookup on the map to see how many portals I can capture and how to make the most fields. Sometimes this means running back and forth to acquire "keys" to throw links that make the fields. I can usually get about 6 miles in and it is entertaining. Ingress is how I started running and helped me lose 50 pounds. I stopped for a while and put a few back on so I went back to it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your topic brought to mind Didga the Purrkour cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUqfDlEFlA
  • karlsantiago
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I go out and play Ingress (ingress.com). its a GPS game that is best described as a combination of Geo cashing and capture the flag on a global level. I lookup on the map to see how many portals I can capture and how to make the most fields. Sometimes this means running back and forth to acquire "keys" to throw links that make the fields. I can usually get about 6 miles in and it is entertaining. Ingress is how I started running and helped me lose 50 pounds. I stopped for a while and put a few back on so I went back to it.

Wow that sounds awesome! I bet it's even more fun when playing with a big group of people!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a group of mountain bikers that bike a 15-20 mile route in our local National Forest every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. I can get most of the Tues/Thu ride in before I get into the office, and ride the entire ride on Saturdays. They're a great group; very casual. We wait for everyone at turning points, and chat while we wait, and have a ball. Can't beat it...

...unless it's my new obsession, pickleball. Play THAT with a local pickleball club usually M, W, and F mornings before heading to the office. In an hour, I can get 3-4 games in. Sometimes I play well, other times I play crap, and sometimes I play with really good players that test my skills, and other times I play with total beginners and spend time with them giving them tips and just having fun.

Snowshoe in the winter if there's snow; hike in the summer with my dog. Walk the dog all the time in the afternoons in our forest, at a local park (we have lots of outdoor locales). Only time I don't walk the dog daily is if it's raining hard.

My only gym time is getting in to lift weights; try to get in at least twice a week in summer, and three times/week in winter. Gave up on the cardio machines a long time ago unless I'm in the mood for the elliptical in the winter.
  • karlsantiago
    Options
    I have a group of mountain bikers that bike a 15-20 mile route in our local National Forest every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. I can get most of the Tues/Thu ride in before I get into the office, and ride the entire ride on Saturdays. They're a great group; very casual. We wait for everyone at turning points, and chat while we wait, and have a ball. Can't beat it...

...unless it's my new obsession, pickleball. Play THAT with a local pickleball club usually M, W, and F mornings before heading to the office. In an hour, I can get 3-4 games in. Sometimes I play well, other times I play crap, and sometimes I play with really good players that test my skills, and other times I play with total beginners and spend time with them giving them tips and just having fun.

Snowshoe in the winter if there's snow; hike in the summer with my dog. Walk the dog all the time in the afternoons in our forest, at a local park (we have lots of outdoor locales). Only time I don't walk the dog daily is if it's raining hard.

My only gym time is getting in to lift weights; try to get in at least twice a week in summer, and three times/week in winter. Gave up on the cardio machines a long time ago unless I'm in the mood for the elliptical in the winter.

Yes!! I love it! I have been changing my routine the same way. I hardly ever do cardio at the gym anymore. I live by the beach so there is a lot of beach/boardwalk running involved, also jogging with my dog as well. Thanks for sharing!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think it's a great idea to always shake things up in your exercise regimen. Try out new things, and realize what may have worked before may not be the end-all forever. Seems like a lot of folks are looking for "that one exercise I'll like and do forever..." when your health, needs, likes, and enjoyment may come from a variety of different things over time.

Envious of being near a beach...but I do love my forest!
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I walk to and from work every day, 45 minutes each way, regardless of weather (I live in Canada, so in winter that sometimes means -40C ), I also bike and go hiking with my kiddo and husband on weekends, swim laps typically in the winter, and sometimes just be silly playing on the playground equipment with my boy! (We have restarted out chin up challenge on the monkey bars lol). I find I spend very little time in the gym in the summer but use it immensely during our harsh winters. BTW: that geocashing /capture the flag game sounds like great fun! I might have to look into that! :)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I like going to the local highschool track and run the bleachers. Another guy brings his battle ropes and other toys. And there is an adjacent field that has equipment for football drills I have been eyeballing. --Especially the tractor tires!
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love to hike. Also I usually walk 10,000 steps at work daily so that helps. At home I utilize my stairs and step on them in different motions if I don't feel like hitting the gym that day..
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, but I also love being outdoors. I run, cycle, swim, kayak, scuba, tennis, and take long walks. I really only use the gym these days for weight training and weekday spin sessions (because I can't cycle outdoors during the week).
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've gotten some pretty great workouts on random playground equipment at parks near my house. It's amazing what one can accomplish with a set of monkey bars, a bench, a slide, and a pole. :-D