How to stop losing but not gain?

okay; so I have lost all the pounds I need to lose and I keep on losing around 1 pound every week; how do I stop this? I've reached my goal and I just want to maintain now, my BMR is 1068 but I workout for at least 45 minutes 5 times a week, how do I maintain my current weight based off that? I really don't want to stop working out and I like my diet plan but I really don't want to lose anymore weight and I don't want to gain; weight maintenance seems to be the hardest thing lol; so what do I do, how much calories should I be having for weight maintenance?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    If you're losing a pound per week you're still eating a 500 calorie deficit. Set MFP to maintain weight, add 100 calories per week until you reach that goal. It will help decrease water weight gain. Then you may have to experiment a little if MFP gave you a lower goal. If you're using the NEAT method and not TDEE, you'll still have to eat your exercise calories back.

It comes down to math and looking at your data.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    if you're losing about 1 Lb per week then per the math that means you have a 500 calorie deficit roughly per day...3,500 calories per week...so you up your calories by 500 per day.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    In order to stop losing weight and maintain, you will need to do the following:
    1. Drink exactly 67.4 oz of water every day
    2. Have 22.7g of protein for breakfast
    3. Your lunch should be C/P/F 50/30/20
    4. Every morning, immediately after waking up, you need to jump on the left foot 20 times; and right before going to bed, jump on the right foot 20 times

That should do it.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist :smile: . Of course it's nonsense.

OP, you need to eat more. Add 100-200 calories to your day every few weeks to find your maintenance level.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Agree with the above; you're not eating enough.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    It will be a process where you gather data based on how YOUR body functions and adjust calorie intake accordingly. If you jump 500 calories/day all at once you will be retaining more water, too and will probably notice a pretty instant weight gain of a pound or two. If this is going to freak you out then up your calories more gradually until you stop losing. Identify a range (you know by your data thus far that you fluctuate daily) and stay within it :)