Creamy Baked Potato Soup

USAMcK
USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I made a bunch of vegetable broth and we've been eating this for every single meal the last 2 days. Can't get enough of it, so I thought I'd share. :)

CREAMY BAKED POTATO SOUP

CALORIES ...... INGREDIENT:
50 .................... 16 oz. vegetable broth (only use 8 oz. for less volume & thicker soup)
75 .................... 1 medium (2-3" diameter) red potato, sliced 1/4" inch thick
70 .................... 1 slice thick-cut bacon
40 .................... 1 tsp. grease from bacon
110 ................... 1 ounce extra sharp cheddar cheese
30 .................... 3 Tbsp. nonfat greek yogurt
0 ...................... spices to taste
375 TOTAL CALORIES

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook bacon in pan, remove when crispy and set aside, drain off all but 1 tsp. of the grease
2. Fry up potatoes in grease on medium heat til desired doneness (~12-15 mins)
3. Pour in broth, bring to low boil, reduce to simmer for ~5 minutes
4. While broth is simmering with potatoes, grate cheese and set aside. Also chop bacon and set aside.
5. Blend greek yogurt into broth+potatoes. I use a stick blender, use what you like or keep chunky.
6. Blend in cheese last, pour into serving bowl and add chopped bacon.
7. Crack some black pepper and smoked paprika, or whatever you like, into the soup and serve. :)

If you try it, send me a PM and tell me what you think. We're obsessed!

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    That sounds delicious! I love creamy soups. How many servings does this make? Two?
  • USAMcK
    It's totally up to you. I like a lot of volume so I eat this all to myself as a meal. But it's completely customizable to your tastes. :)
  • USAMcK
    If you want to calculate potatoes more specifically, red potatoes are 0.71 calories per gram. :)
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Sounds good.
    If you want to make the soup even creamier, may I suggest using a more starchy potato such as a Russet instead of a waxy red that is more suitable for potato salads... :)
  • USAMcK
    andrikos, I did not know that. Thank you so much for the suggestion! I just bought them because they're smaller and cuter. I had no idea there was much of a difference. THANKS! ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It's really nice of you to share. You should post it in the recipe section, so people who look for recipes can find it, too. :)