How many calories I should be eating

Hi I am new to this tracking everything you eat and I was wondering how many calories I should be eating daily I am 230# and 5'6", and is it best for me to invest in a scale to weigh my foods or can I just use measuring cups and spoons as I have been doing.

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    MFP should give you the calories to eat ...eat what MFP gives you and if you exercise ...eat 50% to all exercise calories back ..MFP does not include exercise calories ...Invest in a food scale to measure your food and use your measure cups to measure liquid ......Wishing you much success :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Set your goal to either 1.5 or 2 pounds a week (general guideline is .5 pounds for every 25 pounds you wish to lose), eat that amount and half of your exercise calories. And the food scale will be way more accurate than the cups.
  • 4happenings
    4happenings Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much oh I'm doing a Diabetese Mngmt class and they telling me that my fat calories should be 50 but MFP gives me 56
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    A food scale is one of the most useful weight loss tools you can get, pretty cheap too!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Thank you so much oh I'm doing a Diabetese Mngmt class and they telling me that my fat calories should be 50 but MFP gives me 56

MFP allows you to change settings for your needs.